Which chimney cap/vent??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MBG2003

Jan 18, 2018
Central Florida
Hi All!
I had much trouble about 15 years ago with a Harmon pellet stove and ya all helped me much then! (Harmon has not made that expensive model for years- hopefully Harmon is out of business!).
I am now in completely different area- from northern Wyoming to central Florida... I bought a correctly sized. (Per fireplace store in Wisconsin ??), adjustable vent for fireplace last fall. (1 year ago). When the contracted person was cleaning up the edges of the crown- where someone had put a 'bank' of ashphalt type material around the clay flue liner- BEHOLD- THE LINER HAD BEEN CUT OFF FLUSH WITH THE CHIMNEY!! He cleaned up the old broken ashphalt and it is now smooth concrete. Nothing to screw the vent to! I assume the bank of ashphalt was a way to stop rainwater from coming in??? Or what?? There is a cement 28"x45" concrete slab above the chimney liner. The store that I delt with told me that the vent I ordered installed by sliding INTO the liner- but it was built to be screwed onto the outside of the liner. Vent was returned and store said they had nothing to sell that could be adhered to the now flat surface. I have the chimney covered with concrete blocks and chimney tarped/wrapped because of hurricane in September. I have not unwrapped it because I do not know what vent to put on. I do want adjustable vent with a chain inside liner to pull open/close because there are no glass doors on fireplace AND summer there are horrendous amount of LARGE insects (flying roaches) that will come down the chimney. Sometimes snakes on roof. (Florida has more poisonous snakes than any other state- I am well aware cuz I was RN in Emergency Room). Summer heat coming in/airconditioned air going up/out. What vent do you sugget? Having someone make one would be out of my price. 12" clay liner but flush with crown. Right now I would love a fire to sit by- 12 degree this morning with wind chill, 20 degrees without. Colder here than Ankorage Alaska- literally! Furnace stopped blowing hot air about 2 weeks ago. So many people here without heat. I at least have a small den added to home with minisplit hvac. Have been staying in that part of house while waiting for hvac repair- I just called them Tuesday...Toilet seats are dam cold though!! What you say re chimney vent?? Thank you.

Hi All!
I had much trouble about 15 years ago with a Harmon pellet stove and ya all helped me much then! (Harmon has not made that expensive model for years- hopefully Harmon is out of business!).
I am now in completely different area- from northern Wyoming to central Florida... I bought a correctly sized. (Per fireplace store in Wisconsin ??), adjustable vent for fireplace last fall. (1 year ago). When the contracted person was cleaning up the edges of the crown- where someone had put a 'bank' of ashphalt type material around the clay flue liner- BEHOLD- THE LINER HAD BEEN CUT OFF FLUSH WITH THE CHIMNEY!! He cleaned up the old broken ashphalt and it is now smooth concrete. Nothing to screw the vent to! I assume the bank of ashphalt was a way to stop rainwater from coming in??? Or what?? There is a cement 28"x45" concrete slab above the chimney liner. The store that I delt with told me that the vent I ordered installed by sliding INTO the liner- but it was built to be screwed onto the outside of the liner. Vent was returned and store said they had nothing to sell that could be adhered to the now flat surface. I have the chimney covered with concrete blocks and chimney tarped/wrapped because of hurricane in September. I have not unwrapped it because I do not know what vent to put on. I do want adjustable vent with a chain inside liner to pull open/close because there are no glass doors on fireplace AND summer there are horrendous amount of LARGE insects (flying roaches) that will come down the chimney. Sometimes snakes on roof. (Florida has more poisonous snakes than any other state- I am well aware cuz I was RN in Emergency Room). Summer heat coming in/airconditioned air going up/out. What vent do you sugget? Having someone make one would be out of my price. 12" clay liner but flush with crown. Right now I would love a fire to sit by- 12 degree this morning with wind chill, 20 degrees without. Colder here than Ankorage Alaska- literally! Furnace stopped blowing hot air about 2 weeks ago. So many people here without heat. I at least have a small den added to home with minisplit hvac. Have been staying in that part of house while waiting for hvac repair- I just called them Tuesday...Toilet seats are dam cold though!! What you say re chimney vent?? Thank you.
Many top sealing dampers will work. Most just get glued down

Lock Top or Energy Top Dampers work well. They are the "pop up" and are opened and closed with a stainless cable and seal off the air well.
You can get these dampers either with or without the screens. I would also get the "Sweeps Ring" that is what will be glued to the chimney and the Damper will attach to it. Without the "Sweeps Ring" you glue the damper down, and it can make cleaning more difficult.

Lock Top or Energy Top Dampers work well. They are the "pop up" and are opened and closed with a stainless cable and seal off the air well.
You can get these dampers either with or without the screens. I would also get the "Sweeps Ring" that is what will be glued to the chimney and the Damper will attach to it. Without the "Sweeps Ring" you glue the damper down, and it can make cleaning more difficult.

Thank you bothm it was a Lock Tite that I bought which did not fit. I will look for this model. I knew you guys would know what to do! Thank you.

Snakes on the roof! Cold teirlet seats... Arrrgh._g Hang in there!

Thank you everyone! I guess I do not underdtand why the Wisconsin chimny supply store did not enlighten me about these available products . I did look them up and the damper is exsctly what I want(my neighbor has this kind), and with the ring I can still clean the flue. Thx again! Might even be able to get a fire in this winter.