Which chimney cleaning device/products to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnWW

Jul 8, 2019
So reading through the forum, it looks like rotary type brushes are deemed most effective. Can someone tell me exactly which one to buy and if I need any other products to accomplish cleaning of a 15 ft chimney with 10" x 10" internal dimension? I suspect that it is quite crudded up. So many choices out there and I am a terrible deliberator.

If it is quite crudded up, then I suggest having a pro come out and clean it asap. Then you can follow with regular cleanings with a Sooteater, or if access is easy, standard sweeping brushes.

Reactions: JohnWW
I'd go with begreen's suggestion and then get a SootEater.

Thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestion on good sweeps in the St Louis MO area and what would be good questions to ask to determine if they are competent? It is easily accessed.

Try www.csia.org for starters. Maybe crossreference with Angie's List or Yelp or NextDoor for recommendations.