1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Which Defiant do I have ?

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by claydogg84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. claydogg84

claydogg84 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Salt Point, NY
    I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which model defiant I have. Also, I bought this stove off craigslist and the guy removed the doors to make the stove "lighter". I should have known something was up, but I didn't and one of the hinges for the door pins is broken. Are replacement doors even an option, or should I just try to have it repaired? I've attached a picture of the label on the back of the stove. There is nothing printed on the fireback inside the stove, but it is a 2 piece.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
  3. claydogg84

claydogg84 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Salt Point, NY
    But there are different models when searching for parts, no?
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yes, but most parts are the same - also, many stoves from that era have already had various parts updated or replaced, so knowing from the serial number is not going to be as accurate as describing the parts perfectly....

Here are some hints for exact ID:
    http://www.discountstove.com/defiantfirebacks.html (fireback identification)

Other than that, there were early one-piece backs which were changed to two piece.

Later models (of the original) had the oval griddle - and the front casting wrapped further around the sides, hiding the furnace cement.