Which Fisher Fireplace Insert Model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ellisonk

Dec 28, 2018
LaVale, MD
I purchased a Fisher fireplace insert but turns out won't fit due to 8" flue and dimemsions (25" wide top shelf)
Need to identify which model and year this is to try to resell. Please help!
15460135623236516274216893919189.jpg 15460136027705983257566051767775.jpg 15460136307352572072637230800379.jpg 15460135623236516274216893919189.jpg 15460136027705983257566051767775.jpg 15460136307352572072637230800379.jpg

Reactions: Todd67
Hello everyone,I'm new to this so here it go's. My name is Bob and I was the first paid welder for the Fisher stove works in N.H.We were the first franchise that Bob&Carol; sold to Arnold Dunagan from Eugene,Or.around 1975-76 and contrary to all stories heard about the design of the Grandpappa-Bear,A.Dunagan charged me $400.00 for distorting 2 baby-bear stoves.I welded two of them together.1-right hand and 1-left hand model.And I said the fireplace model should look similar.With that I was informed that I just ruined two stoves.I then went on to work for Aurther Hicks and Gerald Jolicure at the Warner Stove Co.in Warner,N.H.,I then moved to Maryland and formed the Chesapeake Stove Works,Inc. In BelAir,MD.
:coolsmile:
Wondering if you are still working on Fisher woodstoves? I purchased one on Craig's lost only to discover it is 1/2" too big to fit in my fireplace. I am in Western MD and hoping someone can help me get this retrofitted without having to reconstruct the back angles fireplace.

UOTE="ellisonk, post: 2318765, member: 63477"]Wondering if you are still working on Fisher woodstoves? I purchased one on Craig's lost only to discover it is 1/2" too big to fit in my fireplace. I am in Western MD and hoping someone can help me get this retrofitted without having to reconstruct the back angles fireplace.[/QUOTE]

Post a picture of your stove and fireplace setup so we can see what Fisher stove model you have. Edited to say disregard the pics. I just saw your other post.

Welcome to the forum!

Is this Fisher insert too tall, or too wide (or both)?

Our Fisher stove expert is coaly. He will be able to tell you more about your insert.

Does it have a UL tag on it? Thanks for posting the pics!

To me with the crack in the top and that much pitting that stove would be scrap.

Is this Fisher insert too tall, or too wide (or both)?

Our Fisher stove expert is coaly. He will be able to tell you more about your insert.

Does it have a UL tag on it? Thanks for posting the pics!
No UL tag that I know of (but can't say I would know what to look for). Installer said 8" flue would be too large to get past jog in basement chimney. Also, stove is 1/2" too deep for fireplace.

No UL tag that I know of (but can't say I would know what to look for). Installer said 8" flue would be too large to get past jog in basement chimney. Also, stove is 1/2" too deep for fireplace.

Take a look at the manual that coaly linked you to above and make sure it came with all the parts. Does it have the side and top flashing pieces?

Have you considered a freestanding stove instead of the insert?
What is the size of your existing flue?
A Mama or Papa would use a 6" pipe which might work better in your chimney.

Don is right. A lot of people use a free standing non-insert woodstove on their fireplace hearth. It's an option to consider...

Or just get a modern stove or insert that will out perform any of the fishers in just about every way.

We don't have room for free-standing stove and we like the performance of this insert (already have same Fisher insert at our main home). Purchased this used insert from CRAIG'S LIST, cost a good bit to transport it from Westminster to Cumberland and being quoted too much for new one. Really need to figure out how to get this one to work. Just need to find someone willing to install. Flue should be big enough but being told there is a jog which could make it difficult or impossible. Also according to my measurements this stove should fit with 1/2" clearance so I am assuming company that cane to provide estimate just didn't want the job.

As a pro installer I would not install a stove with a cracked stove collar. You ay you like the function of the fishers. But do you have any experience with modern stoves?

We don't have room for free-standing stove and we like the performance of this insert (already have same Fisher insert at our main home). Purchased this used insert from CRAIG'S LIST, cost a good bit to transport it from Westminster to Cumberland and being quoted too much for new one. Really need to figure out how to get this one to work. Just need to find someone willing to install. Flue should be big enough but being told there is a jog which could make it difficult or impossible. Also according to my measurements this stove should fit with 1/2" clearance so I am assuming company that cane to provide estimate just didn't want the job.

I agree 1/2 inch depth is not a deal breaker.
If it extends out too far, anything like 1/2 inch cement board can be used as a filler behind face plate. It is only a cover for looks.

As far as the welded flue collar; The top crack is not the firebox, it is only the outer air chamber.
If a boot were bolted (or self tapping screws) to the top, the collar is not used. Normally the vent does not extend up beyond the outer air chamber.
As long as there are no cracks in the vent pipe or firebox top, I wouldn't worry about it.
Depending on the chimney height and other possible factors, a 6 inch insulated liner would probably work fine. It is not legal to reduce the size smaller than the appliance outlet, but it is also not legal to install any appliance without a UL Listing tag.

Insert Damper 10-28-80.jpg

One reason for the larger 8 inch outlet was for open door burning with screen in place.
Another reason was since they were designed to use the larger existing fireplace flue, the larger outlet allows more heat up than a 6 inch would have. They were listed for using the existing fireplace flue, but time has proven the larger flues allowed too much expansion of flue gasses cooling them below condensing temperature, which can create rapid creosote formation. Hence the code change requiring the liner to be directly connected as well as the same size as appliance outlet. Connected to a 6 inch insulated liner, many work great.
Here's a thread with video on post #28;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cant-seem-to-figure-out.119184/page-2#post-1617042

I tested all the single door stoves with 6 inch outlets, as well as 8 inch double doors with the same 6 inch chimney when experimenting with the Smoke Shelf Baffle that was designed for the double door Fireplace Series. That chimney was in the interior, center of home, straight up with minimum connector pipe.
You will need a 6 inch liner if you go with a newer Insert, so I would certainly try it first, and if you find it doesn't work (which I highly doubt) you have a liner installed that is required for a newer stove.