Which Generator for a Harman P43 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert S

Oct 11, 2014
Salem, MA
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a generator to be utilized during power outages for my Harman P43. I've read that a certain type of generetor (inverter type .... perhaps ?) may be needed.
I'm seeking advice on which ones will work with this stove.

Thanks. Bob

I tested my new equipment this weekend. I have a new American Standard Forced Hot Air NG furnace and a new Enviro Milan pellet insert. Both are on circuits that are on my manual transfer switch (previous furnace was on this as well). This weekend I tested both with my generator - a Generac 7000 EXL (conventional) generator. This is a better than average unit with AVR (auto voltage regulation) and is fully wired into the transfer switch with the appropriate cable I connect when needed.

I tested all of these items, including the remaining full house circuits with heat running and the pellet stove running and all worked correctly (including the wifi thermostat).

I monitored the quality of power generated with a Kill-a-watt to see if there were any irregularities (none expected) and things appeared to run well.

From past experience, the biggest issue is proper grounding of the circuit and the use of Econo modes not driving enough current to run the appliances.

Ground is worked around by having the correct transfer panel connections and the Econo mode can be worked around by running a 60 watt light bulb on the circuit to drive more demand (or not using ECO mode).

I second the Honda vote; more expensive but clean inverter power, fuel efficient, quiet and dependable. It is also portable, less than 50#, so you can position it where you want.

Reactions: wildwildwest
Thanks for all the responses. So, am I correct in thinking that I will will need an Inverter-type generator .... as opposed to a lesser expensive regular genarator ?

Thanks. Bob

In my opinion I would think that with the control boards you would need "clean" inverter power. I like the inverter generator because I don't have to worry about what it is powering and can use it for my computers or other sensitive electronics.

In my opinion I would think that with the control boards you would need "clean" inverter power. I like the inverter generator because I don't have to worry about what it is powering and can use it for my computers or other sensitive electronics.
we have a Generac 7500 watt Generator with a 10 circuit Tranfer box to run pretty much the whole house[minus big wattage beasts like Electric stove, Dryer, washer etc..] non of these needed in a power outtage as we either cook on the grill or use microwave..Laundry sure can wait till power restored ususally..

that said, I would be afraid to use our Harman stove with the dirty [or fluctuating] power coming from our Generator.
too much sensitive circuitry.... easier for us to just run the Oil Furnace for heat along with other circuits..
some people have No other heat source and it that's the case, even More reason to go with the Inverter type as opposed to Industrial types.

My opinion which counts about as much every one else on this board is:

As long as you do not let a regular generator run out of fuel and let it warm up you will be fine.

How do I know? ( I don't )

Ive run my pellet stove for several hours on my $300 champion generator and feel confident in it not wrecking something with it. I also have a inverter generator to run for long periods its quieter and can run overnight.

My suggestion though would be to run your central heating system you can pump in 75k btus at least and turn the generator off for a while if need be. Your saving mere dollars trying to run your pellet stove when the power goes out. It may cost you more if you run a gas guzzler generator for hours to power a 100w fan on your pellet stove. I have a setup to run it because its all I have my heat pump draws 100+ amps at startup for a instant that would stall or trip anything Im willing to pay for.

My opinion which counts about as much every one else on this board is:

As long as you do not let a regular generator run out of fuel and let it warm up you will be fine.

How do I know? ( I don't )

Ive run my pellet stove for several hours on my $300 champion generator and feel confident in it not wrecking something with it. I also have a inverter generator to run for long periods its quieter and can run overnight.

My suggestion though would be to run your central heating system you can pump in 75k btus at least and turn the generator off for a while if need be. Your saving mere dollars trying to run your pellet stove when the power goes out. It may cost you more if you run a gas guzzler generator for hours to power a 100w fan on your pellet stove. I have a setup to run it because its all I have my heat pump draws 100+ amps at startup for a instant that would stall or trip anything Im willing to pay for.

I agree to a point with running your house heat as opposed to pellet stove in a power outtage as we never include the cost of fuel for the genny.
On the other hand, I'm on the fence about running a Pellet stove with a standard Generator just fore the sake of what works for one doesn't always equal the same.
If we all ran the same exact pellet stove? maybe.. but circuitry is not all equal in pellet stoves.. My Harman may have lot more sensitive[ not a good thing I might add] Circuit board etc.
than someones Home depot Englander or whatever model... All in all, it would prob be ok most times to run off of generator but don't like the word "Probably" like in, probably won't rain for Sunday's Picnic.. my 2cents also 4 what it's worth. everyone protect your stove however u feel is best..

Be careful with the statements 'clean power' and 'inverter generator'. There are some pretty crappy inverter generators out there (non-Honda's). A lot of our modern devices and controls are more tolerant of poor power conditions than previous generation products. A quality conventional 3600 RPM non-inverter generator can produce very clean power under the appropriate load. Overloading and running out of fuel are other concerns. Look for Pro style generators from a reputable manufacturer - well maintained - and properly wired.

That said, I have run my mom's new refrigerator on a Harbor Freight $90 two-cycle 900 watt generator for a couple of days. Takes a bunch of startup cycles to get things running but once it finally kicks over, the fridge runs fine because it uses much less power than other older appliances.

See if you can borrow a generator from a friend and give it a try - buy a kill-a-watt and study how the power performs/changes during use.

Another thought: use a reasonably priced generator like the Champion and put a line conditioner on it. Tripp Lite, and APC both make some reasonably priced units that keep the voltage to +/- 5% and filter EMI/ RFI noise. The Honda generators are great but SO expensive, that you could buy the Champion and the line conditioner for half the cost of the Honda. If you have a lot of times you need a generator then maybe it makes sense, but for anyone with only occasional needs, $1000 is just too much money IMO.
Here's an example of the line conditioner I mentioned : http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K2EWG3T9ZQ0XWWQ0EFD
Or have a battery back up and just use a less expensive generator to recharge them if necessary.

Has anyone ever looked at the waveform of a regular alternator generator on an oscilloscope? From where come the idea that they are producing garbage electricity? I'm curious!

My whole house standby generator by GE that I bought at HD, runs my stove just fine when the power goes out. However, if I were to buy an inverter generator I would try to buy a pure sine wave inverter. I don't think they are much more than a regular inverter.

Status
Not open for further replies.