Which insert and how much room to connect flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MDFisherman

Burning Hunk
Sep 17, 2012
So. MD
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of selecting an insert for our existing masonry fireplace in our living room upstairs. On my shortlist are the Drolet 1400 and 1800. The fire place dimension are 33"Wx26"Tallx22" Deep. The 2 stoves have the same width of 28" and the 1800 is about 2" deeper. My concern is the height of the stove and being able to connect the flue. The lintel for the fireplace is 26" high, the 1400 is 20" tall and the 18 is 23" tall.

I am leaning toward the 1800 but that leaves me less than 3" to get my hands inside the fireplace to connect the flue. I see it has the 3 tabs in the front to attached the appliance connector with screws. The 1400 would leave 6" above which would be great for access but then I would be stuck with a smaller stove. I plan to cut a whole in the old damper and a block off plate to the underside. It would seem once you do that you have lost all the "wiggle" room for your flue and connecting it to the stove.

The house was built in 1975 and is 1600 s/f upstairs, so so insulation. I already have an 30NC in the basement so we will only be using this stove upstairs when it's cold. I plan to wrap the liner with a 1/2" blanket and I have also already poured a new concrete chimney cap.

Which stove would you go with? is 3" enough space to get a flue connected to the stove? Should I order the part that lets you connect the flue from inside the stove? Or not fight it and just put the 1400 in.

Link to the 1800 if anyone is interested

Thanks All

Attachments

• Which insert and how much room to connect flue
    IMG_3270[1].JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 65
    IMG_3271[1].JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 87
    IMG_3267[1].JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 72
    IMG_3264[1].JPG
    341 KB · Views: 81
You don't need to squeeze your hands behind the unit. After the liner is pulled you put on a stainless steel adapter plate that has the tabs on it, set the insert in place then reach through the flue collar on the unit and pull the appliance adapter through and secure the on the inside of the stove. Makes for a clean easy install. Are you going to install a block off plate?

Thanks, It sounds like I can reach up from the inside and pull the flue into place. Then with a long extension just run in the 3 self tapping screws. Hopefully not have to squeeze my hands in too much to get the flue to line up.

BTW in that viedo you can see the guy stick his hands above the stove and shove the flue in. Not bad if you have the room or little hobbit hands.