Which kind of refractory is in the Greenwood, Seton, etc?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdivr

Jan 1, 2009
Mid-Missouri
I assume it is a Dense refractory and not an insulating (porous) one? I see there are such differences in firebrick.

Here in Central Missouri, there are smokey OWB everywhere. I have yet to see any gasifier or Greenwood type boilers. So, I've decided to either build a Seton type boiler or an Econoburn/Atmos type. My house is 2000 sqf (1000 basement + 1000 main floor). I may also heat an outside 2 car garage w/ a separate loop. I will heat DHW and use a HX with my forced air furnace.

Anyone know the exact type of refractory in their box? Thanks.

the higher the quality or temp the better. if your building one of these make sure you cast each piece individually. dont make the fire box all one piece. when there individual they can move/flex this helps the crack factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.