Which maple do you think is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
I have a tough time sorting out what maple is which......what do you folks think this is?

20220104_103310.jpg 20220104_103332.jpg 20220104_103721.jpg 20220104_103710.jpg

Looks to me like a good maple. Good wood. Good to burn. :)

(Sorry, can't help much here, but I'm curious to learn, so I'll see what the experts will say.)

Reactions: mcdougy
Looks like soft maple to me from those pictures. Close up of the trunk would be better.

Reactions: nrford
Silver Maple. Some people call it water maple. Medium good wood that makes a lot of ash for me but it seasons FAST. I cut a big live healthy one into rounds and srashed it in my pole barn last July and fresh splits out of the rounds that were under about 15 inches were well under 20 percent moisture by early January.

This btu chart shows there is not alot of different between Red or Silver maple, but I was curious what I have.....with some reading I've also bored that red and silver will cross to become "freeman" maple. All I'm after is the btu's and it appears I should be good with this wood. It split easy and that is a bonus for me as I'm still using a axe only.

Screenshot_20220104-200646_Drive.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say anything bad about it. I actually love it. I had a few splits mixed in my firebox last night and I have a third of a cord or so in next years pile.

The reason I really love it is that it is readily available from my buddies tree service since they are notoriously weak trees and I can pic out the bark from a mile away. He'll load me a few big straight trunks on my F750 since he is always desperate to make more room in his yard. My father has an open fireplace and I can hand split him a cord or so behind my shop and I really enjoy how easily it splits with an axe. Since it dries so fast I can split some up in early summer and it's ready to go by mid to late November.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say anything bad about it. I actually love it. I had a few splits mixed in my firebox last night and I have a third of a cord or so in next years pile.

The reason I really love it is that it is readily available from my buddies tree service since they are notoriously weak trees and I can pic out the bark from a mile away. He'll load me a few big straight trunks on my F750 since he is always desperate to make more room in his yard. My father has an open fireplace and I can hand split him a cord or so behind my shop and I really enjoy how easily it splits with an axe. Since it dries so fast I can split some up in early summer and it's ready to go by mid to late November.
All good.....
I cut this one up because some big winds snapped the top 20' out of it.
I've cleaned up most of the ash in our bush now I'm looking for broken and bad trees.
There is a few more of these (silver) maples I will take down.
Sounds like great shop wood for me and won't hesitate to burn it in the house as well.
Thank you for your information.....
Would you say it makes more ash than Ash splits?

Silver maple for sure. Seasons fast, good for shoulder season and or quick daytime fire. Keeper!