which maple is the best to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I know somewhere in here people talk about maples,
but which one?
Rock, silver, red, sugar?
A guy is trying to sell me silver maple??? Thats the one to stay away from???
I only have enough space for another 1.5 cords for my 2012 wood which is red oak, ash,white oak, a tiny bit of popular, should i chane silver maple or go for more oak?

Sugar maple is the best maple by far. In some locales, sugar maple is also referred to as rock maple.

red maple and silver maple are lower on the BTU scale respectively.

If I were you I'd go for the oak!

peterc38 said:
Sugar maple is the best maple by far. In some locales, sugar maple is also referred to as rock maple.

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

+2

...or is it +1+2+3+4.

Hickory's my all time fav, but rock maple makes a heater happy enough.

Wish I had more hickory. Mmmm, smells so nice burnin but I don't have enough to really compare it. Love red oak. My favorite Sugar maple is great stuff though, LOTS of heat in it. I burn tons of red maple cause...a lot of it grows around here. Maybe not the densest wood but it burns hot, clean (and kind of fast) and I like it a lot. Spring fall, a medium load of red maple and softwood (poplar, hemlock, pine) gives a pretty fire, nice heat and not so much coals that your sweating after the fire parties over.

Which maple is best? CSS maple. ;-P Someone had to say it!

Hard maple (rock maple, sugar maple) is the best to burn. I burn a little soft maple throughout the year also though.

smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

+ whatever to Peter and Jay's comments . . . although like another poster in two years I'll be burning quite a bit of red maple since I was clearing a lot for the fire department and that was most of what was growing there . . . in my book . . . all cut, split, stacked and seasoned wood = good wood.

ikessky said:
Which maple is best? CSS maple. ;-P Someone had to say it!.
I was gonna say "the free kind"

firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

+ whatever to Peter and Jay's comments . . . although like another poster in two years I'll be burning quite a bit of red maple since I was clearing a lot for the fire department and that was most of what was growing there . . . in my book . . . all cut, split, stacked and seasoned wood = good wood.

Jake,

I like Red Maple, I think it is a little underrated for firewood and it is very plentiful in our home state. I don't know if this is your experience but I find there can be a lot of variability to it compared to some other species, the stuff growing in wet areas is not typically as good.

As a new EPA stove owner (burning old style for ever) I have come to the conclusion that the "crappy" woods we used to know and hate all move up the totem pole due to the more efficienty of the stoves available today.

peterc38 said:
firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

Jake,

I like Red Maple, I think it is a little underrated for firewood and it is very plentiful in our home state. I don't know if this is your experience but I find there can be a lot of variability to it compared to some other species, the stuff growing in wet areas is not typically as good.

I actually haven't really burned much red maple in the past . . . mostly ash, white birch, cherry and some sugar maple on the family land . . . in a few years I'll be using the red maple . . . and unfortunately it was all in a pretty wet, soggy area . . . but as the other poster mentioned . . . I seem to get pretty good burns (heat and time) with wood that some folks might turn their noses up at (i.e. white birch, softwood, popple, etc.) . . . two years . . . and my stove has yet to see a single stick of oak, hickory or locust go into it . . . and I'm most definitely not freezing to death so I figure even this "lesser" red maple should be fine.

firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:

+1+ hickory, ash, beech.

lol Did I leave one out, just stating the woods in my area not sure what a red maple is? but I have quite a bit of silver!

I burn at least 60 % silver maple . Nothing wrong with it at all . Splits nice drys easily and gives off a decent amount of heat .

webie said:
I burn at least 60 % silver maple . Nothing wrong with it at all . Splits nice drys easily and gives off a decent amount of heat .

how long do you need to season it?

we burn alot of maple. but save the suger bush for the sunday pancakes. i guess it all burns ok if dried well. we like the smaller ash and cherry around here in sw nh. dries faster and splits nice, thats what the wife tells me. i just pull it in and chunk it for her.love her and this web sight. great info thank you all!

Best maple to burn is free maple.

iceman said:
webie said:

how long do you need to season it?

It seems to be fine in a year of drying time . What I cut in fall is ready for the following winter . Burns great in either the fire place or the gasser . I think the wood is middle of the road as far as fire wood goes .

Status
Not open for further replies.