1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Which one would you trust ?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Jerry045, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jerry045

Jerry045 Member

Loc:
    Quebec City
    Since many years I use a temperature probe to check the flue temperature for my Jotul combifire #4. I try to maintain the temp near 400F or more, to reduce creosote. Two years ago I cleaned the probe and since that time, the readings appeared to have somewhat changed. So yesterday I bought a new probe and check its performance against the old one. Well there were differences in readings.
    On the new one, I got readings around 700F and when I replaced it with the old one, I read something like a bit more 400F; true between the exchange the flue temp may have dropped a bit, say to 600F or so. But this is quite a difference to me. I am more leaning to trust the new one. Am I right ?

Jerry

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I agree, probably more trust in the new one simply because it is new. However, with that much difference, I wouldn't trust either one very much. I would gladly pay more for a stove pipe probe thermometer that I knew was accurate. There are quite a few threads on this forum on the topic if you wish to read more. Just do a search. Here is one - http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...dar-probe-flue-thermometer.78251/#post-998275
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hard to say but I would probably go by the new one as well. This is on double wall pipe, right?