Which one would you trust ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry045

Oct 3, 2009
Quebec City
Since many years I use a temperature probe to check the flue temperature for my Jotul combifire #4. I try to maintain the temp near 400F or more, to reduce creosote. Two years ago I cleaned the probe and since that time, the readings appeared to have somewhat changed. So yesterday I bought a new probe and check its performance against the old one. Well there were differences in readings.
On the new one, I got readings around 700F and when I replaced it with the old one, I read something like a bit more 400F; true between the exchange the flue temp may have dropped a bit, say to 600F or so. But this is quite a difference to me. I am more leaning to trust the new one. Am I right ?

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_3212.JPG
    DSC_3212.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_3213.JPG
    DSC_3213.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 222
I agree, probably more trust in the new one simply because it is new. However, with that much difference, I wouldn't trust either one very much. I would gladly pay more for a stove pipe probe thermometer that I knew was accurate. There are quite a few threads on this forum on the topic if you wish to read more. Just do a search. Here is one - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...dar-probe-flue-thermometer.78251/#post-998275

Hard to say but I would probably go by the new one as well. This is on double wall pipe, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.