which pellet would you choose and why

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EarthStove said:
Keep in mind it's been a LOT warmer the past few days then it was just a few weeks ago for this area.

I know it is 45 outside right now and what really stinks is I have adjusted the stove down 2x already. It already has a lot smaller flame then I am used to and I am afraid if I turn it down more it looks like it will burn out and it is still 80 in the house, since 3pm.

homeskillet said:
I have a habit of trying different types of pellets just to see if I am missing anything........I am a tried and true Bear Mountain Fan but I am do like the try others. I recently tried Okanagon pellets after hearing good things about them. They burned just fine.....as good as Bear Mountain from my point of view, but i noticed that when i poured the bag of OKIES into the stove hopper, I got a huge cloud of pellet dust that settled all over the stove and floor and like a light dusting of snow and needed to be cleaned up. I didnt get any clinkers....and about the same amount of ash as the BM. So, other than the dust......the OKIES are ok in my book. I am in Seattle area where, if i shop around in the summer, I can get BM for 199/ton and OKIES for 185/ton. Ill go with the BM as the long as the price is close to OKIES. If BM becomes to proud of there pellets and theres a 50/ton difference, Ill buy OKIES and deal with the dust!

I've come to the conclusion that the dust from the Okies is more than I can take, the cleanup from dust afterwards is worse then having to clean the stove normally from a lesser pellet. Not to mention the sticky residue of pellet dust making a mess in my hopper. I am going to give the Allegheny, and turmans a try, I am not sold on the benefits of softwood after this mess. I burned thru a Ton of NEWP's and didn't have anywhere near this big of a mess, in fact everything stayed as clean as could be, might even go back to them.

Here in Northwest Orgon there are only a few brands.

Golden fire
Bear Mountain
Lignetics (sometimes)
Blazer
Hotshots

Every so often we will see a Big box store bring in an eastern brand or one from the mountian states to our east (Mostly pine pellets)

Many years ago, we had some called "Heartland" these were a pine pellet and burned very good.

Just depends on where you are as to what your going to see on the shelf for sale.

Snowy

Is their such thing as a good clinker???
I've had great luck with fireside ultra pellets I got for $200/ton. They do create a large clunker after about 4 days of burning on high but I just open the door and flip the one big clunker out of the burn pot and keep burning for another 2 or 3 days. I'm also throwing a random bag of Okanagwan's in between on those cold nights. After about a week I have to shut it down and clean HX and ash pit. Pretty happy with these pellets, good heat and not much dust.

Barefoot....... Consistent high quality........

I started off buying 10 bags each of 3 different brands: Pennington Nature's Heat ($4/bag at Sam's Club or Walmart), Freedom Fuel (from my local Tractor Supply at $5.50 per bag), and 10 bags of Stove Chow ($5.10 at Home Depot in December, now $3.70 per bag). Since I've burned 3 brands, I'd rate them as follows:

1. Stove Chow - best
2. Pennington Nature's heat - clean burning but not as much heat as Stove Chow
3. Freedom Fuel - #2 for heat but overall the fines/dust in the bags combined with a dirtier burn puts this pellet in last place from my experience

The Penningtons burn very clean and there is nearly no fines or dust in the bags, so I was happy with those. The Freedom Fuel burned hotter than the Penningtons but were real dirty, lots of ash produced from burning, and quite a bit of fines in the bags. The Stove Chow burned the hottest, only slightly more ash than the Penningtons, but much cleaner than the Freedom Fuel. I went with a ton of the Stove Chows and they have been great, especially at their $185/ton price tag.

Im a newbie as this is my first season burning but I love Green Team hardwood pellets as my approach is " if it aint broken why fix it', as they have very low ash and very low ash in bag also, hard to find at times i was lucky to pick up the last ton a week ago at lowes but don't see them around as of late. I did try one bag of potomac softwood pellets for 3.87 and i hated them, tons of ash and pine chips in bag and the burn was not as consistant. i will keep burning green teams for 3.74 a bag all day long if i can find them...

Status
Not open for further replies.