Which Quadrafire??--S4300 or 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the larger volume will create more creosote. Its not common pratice in this industry to oversize flues to make room for creosote. I think you got bad advice.

the larger volume will create more creosote. Its not common practice in this industry to oversize flues to make room for creosote. I think you got bad advice.

Agreed additionally a larger flue could create less draft affecting stove performance.

Personally with my Quad I'm sold on the stainless liner. I never have downdraft problems or creosote buildup problems. Also cleaning my stainless liner with a brush takes maybe 5 minutes tops and the overall installed price was less than $600 if you don't include my time.

These guys you linked to make it sound like a chimney fire is inevitable when it isn't. A properly maintained flue should never have a chimney fire, especially if you insulate the liner to prevent creosote formation. It looks like it's a solid way to line a chimney, but just out of curiosity what's it going to cost?

I wouldn't pass up letting the insurance company get you a poured liner, I am a big fan of them (the poured liners not insurance companies) but get it poured large enough to line it with SS if draft is a problem.

Ain't it great to have the company that lines your chimney pretty much guarantee you chimney fires?

TMonter said:
the larger volume will create more creosote. Its not common practice in this industry to oversize flues to make room for creosote. I think you got bad advice.

Agreed additionally a larger flue could create less draft affecting stove performance.

Personally with my Quad I'm sold on the stainless liner. I never have downdraft problems or creosote buildup problems. Also cleaning my stainless liner with a brush takes maybe 5 minutes tops and the overall installed price was less than $600 if you don't include my time.

These guys you linked to make it sound like a chimney fire is inevitable when it isn't. A properly maintained flue should never have a chimney fire, especially if you insulate the liner to prevent creosote formation. It looks like it's a solid way to line a chimney, but just out of curiosity what's it going to cost?

$2700 for the relining and a new concrete cap. Said they might be able to finagle (sp?) some type of a cleanout door for me. As it is now, I have to reach my arm thru the wall into the chimney with a plastic bowl to clean it out.

BrotherBart said:
I wouldn't pass up letting the insurance company get you a poured liner, I am a big fan of them (the poured liners not insurance companies) but get it poured large enough to line it with SS if draft is a problem.

Ain't it great to have the company that lines your chimney pretty much guarantee you chimney fires?

Yeah, it kind of gives me peace of mind. The Golden Flue was tested with simulated creosote fires to 2100degrees with 5 repeated tests with no damage. It is guaranteed for 25 years.

16-18’ approx.

Gotcha. A Stainless liner is going to be about half then. Are they going to pour the liner round or square? Also does your flue currently have a shelf in it? If it does can they remove the shelf and pour the liner perfectly plumb?

TMonter said:
16-18’ approx.

Gotcha. A Stainless liner is going to be about half then. Are they going to pour the liner round or square? Also does your flue currently have a shelf in it? If it does can they remove the shelf and pour the liner perfectly plumb?

The new chimney liner will be 6-7" round (my choice). They first remove all the 8x12" clay liners from the interior of the chimney and do a straight pour around an inflated "sock" (?) They deflate the sock after the special mixture dries and my new liner is the void where the inflated sock was and it is straight with no shelf. As far as the cost factor of stainless vs. this Golden Flue--I had another contractor bid stainless and it was higher--$2,905. vs. 2,800. Regardless, my insurance is covering the relining and all I pay is my deductible. As I said in an earlier post,it was my choice to go with Golden Flue. Others may choose stainless that's good too.

Oversizing a flue is a bad idea. Stoves work better when they have the correct size flue. We put in all 6" class A chimney for stoves we install. Or 6" SS liner. Never had a problem with the flue being too restrictive. A larger flue means it is harder to heat up (more volume). A colder flue means more creosote sticks to the walls. More creosote means you have to clean it more or get a chimney fire.

As for the stoves... dunno what size to get. All anyone can really do is look at the ratings and compare to what you will use it for. Definetly get a blower though, that helps a lot with distributing the heat off the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.