Which Replacement Chain to Buy on Amazon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
What's the best chain to buy from Amazon for my Stihl MS250? Safety is the highest priority (low kickback), and I'd like it to be just like the one that came with the saw (18" bar).

Thanks,

Al

Stihl recommends the (26 RM3 68) chain for the MS 250 with an 18" bar, so I have to assume that is what came with it. They are not cheap on Amazon, $32 w/free prime ship so you might check locally.

@2PistolPacker, I'd be surprised if they're actually calling out an 0.063" gauge chain as stock on that saw. Isn't it more likely 0.325 x .050"?

Get us the numbers off your bar, to confirm gauge. Either way, you should be able to pick up 18" low-kickback Micro chain for under $20... probably under $18.

edit: neb'mind... just found the manual. Yes, it's .063. Bailey's has Woodland at $16.50, Oregon at $19.

ms250chain.JPG semichisel.JPG

Here's the full chisel and semi chisel options. All low-kickback.

Me? I'd head to my local saw shop where I'd probably pay under $18 for the first two, and get the third free. There, it's whatever brand they have on the spool, that meets your spec. They stock Carlton, Oregon, Husqvarna, and Stihl, interchangeably. I assume you'll have a similar shop in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Warm Guy, the reason people keep telling you to check your present chain bar is that almost any chain will fit as long as it fits your bar properly. Unless you know your saw is completely stock only the bar will tell you what pitch and type chain you need to fit it. Most stock .325 Stihl saws use .063 drive links but the link count on your present chain is also important when you order chain. Until you go read that information and use it to compare to available chains you are shooting in the dark. My Stihl 026 uses what Oregon calls a type L chain with a .325 pitch and a count of 81 links. It is also a .063 width on the drive links. If I had another compatible bar I might have an .050 drive thickness instead of that .063 or I might have a 3/8 pitch instead of a .325 pitch.

Pitch has to do with the sprocket. Not the bar. Gauge is the bar thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.