1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Which Roxul product?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Jon1270, Feb 1, 2013.

  1. Jon1270

    Jon1270 Minister of Fire

    Aug 25, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm planning to insulate around my insert and above the damper / blockoff plate. Roxul is frequently suggested around here, but it's a special-order item in my neighborhood and when I tried to figure out what to ask for, I discovered that Roxul makes many different products with varying thicknesses, densities, R-valules, etc. Which did you use?

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

  2. sailor61

    sailor61 Burning Hunk

    Nov 28, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Personally - and with limited experience - I would say what ever is cheapest. Unless you're filling a mammoth flue even their smallest bale will leave you with excess. You'll end up breaking it into smaller pieces to work it into place so, to me, there is no value in buying it thicker (hence higher R) or in larger batts. I bought the least expensive bale Lowe's had...I've done my flue, a neighbor packed his smoke box and I still have half of it left. If you have a Lowes check with them if you haven't, here in RI it's a stock item. If you can't get Roxul brand then I believe any mineral wool insulation will work as well (check the flame ratings on the package or manufacturer's website)....just don't use fiberglass.
  3. TradEddie

    TradEddie Minister of Fire

    Jan 24, 2012
    SE PA
    Don't buy the SafeNSound, you can't claim a tax credit from that, since it doesn't have a R-value rating.

  4. DianeB

    DianeB Feeling the Heat

    Apr 26, 2012
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    saf n sound is for sound proofing. I purchased their product called Comfort Bat - I think 26R or there aboutr
    etiger2007 likes this.

Share This Page