Which sealant to use on the flue pipes and adaptor connecting to the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosworth

Nov 3, 2009
MI
Hi, I am finishing up my first pellet stove installation and I'm a bit baffled about what type of silicone sealant to use on the flue.

I currently have DAP fire-stop sealant (http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=9&SubcatID=2), but it's only rated to 160 deg F.

The manufacturer (Englander) recommends 500 deg F... So, I'm not sure where to get the 500 deg F stuff from locally.

Could you tell me which type you used on your flue and where the flue adaptor connects to the stove? Does HomeDepot, Lowes, Tractor Supplies or etc. sell high temp (up to 500 deg F)???

Thanks.

-Sean

p.s. Also, I've read some threads with recommendation for Nashua #322 or #324A Foil Tap on pipe joints. Can this tape be used on the pipe adaptor connecting to the stove?

Red RTV .... available at any auto prts store, hardware or home center.

Thanks macman & krooser for super quick replies!!! I tracked down some Permatex Red RTV at local store for later today. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.