which stove is better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob512

Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2007
York PA
Pellet stove guys. Which do you like, Quadra-fire or Whitfield stoves? Both look pretty nice. I'm a wood insert guy that wants to switch to a free standing pellet stove.

Quadrafire. Avoid whitfield like the plague. And if i were a whitfield dealer, i would tell you the same.

OK i will elobrate.
Jerry Whitfield made pellet stoves a house hold name, he had one of the best designs going for years. Lennox bought them out a few years ago, and thought it would be cute to change the design. they figured out that a photo eye was the perfect device to watch the flame and tell the stove what it was doing. (instead of a thermocoulple, which can sense heat in any condition) the photo eye gets filthy and the stove shuts down. I had 100% return rate on the whitfields i sold.

Thanks mountain guy. How about stove pipe through the wall or out the roof?

through the roof will offer a smoke free room during a power outage. so will out the back and up 5 feet on the exterior of the house.
there are other good brands to look at as well. I will let others speak up for there favriot brands :)

stoveguy2esw said:
im with msg, i'd go with a quad, vesta award winner in the 2005 hpba show. great unit

which one? thats terrible that i didnt know that. LOL

The pipes through the wall look like 3 inch. Do I run a 3 inch out the roof or do you run the 6 inch stuff when you go through the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.