which stoves are the same as inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_376

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2012
central Ct
I have been learning a lot about stoves over the past few weeks. I have learned that some stoves Avalon/Lopi make several of their stoves to be converted from a stove with legs or a pedestal to an insert. Do any other companies follow this practice? I have an Avalon insert but I'm in the market for a larger insert. I would prefer to buy a cheap used one rather than spending a lot. It would be helpful if I knew which stoves to look for that can easily converted to an insert while still having hookups for a blower.

dave_376 said:
Currently I'm looking at lopi Freedom or Avalon Olympic. Are Pacific Energy or QuadraFire like that?

No on the PE, I dont think QF's are either.

No on the QF also. (at least the 4100i).
Blower is nicely accessible on the front of the insert. I believe it is on the back of the freestanding. This would be a deal killer for me, but...
....there are many who stick a free standing stove into their fireplace.
(Just some ideas.)

Status
Not open for further replies.