Which underground line is better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter47201

Oct 26, 2015
Nashville, IN
I m replacing my lines from boiler to home. Approx 100 ft. I ve been trying to do research to install the best and most efficient lines. Im down to a Logstor and one from a company called Z Supply that offers a style that the water lines are wrapped with a closed cell wrap. Their top of the line with 5 wraps and a double wall pipe claims to only lose .67 deg in a 100ft. So which is better? Solid closed cell like Logstor or other?

I bought the thermopex from a central boiler dealer and although I haven't ran it yet, it seems like a pretty good product. I paid $11 per foot for it. I had to buy 5 feet increments but I was ok with that.

Logstor over any wrapped product. if it helps, the lobster has the Same ID as 1" copper, which results in better flow than regular 1" pex which has an ID closer to 3/4" copper.
Logstor is my Go-to Product. Other than foamed in place, which I had to do last week for underground copper.

I just finished installing my system and went with Watts R-Flex. My supply house carries it, it came in 1 1/4, and the 2 lines are encased in closed cell foam. It was not the most flexible thing to work with, but I next to no heat loss in the 115' from the boiler to house.

I just finished installing my system and went with Watts R-Flex. My supply house carries it, it came in 1 1/4, and the 2 lines are encased in closed cell foam. It was not the most flexible thing to work with, but I next to no heat loss in the 115' from the boiler to house.
What's the cost per foot for the watts R-flex?

So he stole it.... That $18.50 per foot is about right for 1.25"

I don't know for sure. I forgot to mention the best part about the R-flex was that it didn't cost me anything. The supply house I buy through didn't charge me for the pipe.
See if they have another 125' they will give you. I'll drive down and pick it up tonight. I'll even compensate you for your time! [emoji487] [emoji487] [emoji487] & [emoji481] [emoji481] [emoji481]

Thermopex rated to loose 1 degree per 100 feet. I ran it for years in Maine. The thermopex was buried about a foot down, the ground over it never melted all winter.
I would only try foamed in place instead, though that takes much mor work and time.

Wow, you're lucky jrod. R-flex Dual, 1.25" x 125mm OD Jacket, by the foot is $18.50USD.

Holy cow! I didn't even check the price, guess I did get a smoking deal. To make it even better, my salesman ordered the wrong footage. I had enough left over from the house to the boiler shed run, to make it from the house to the garage.

I used pipe from a company called badger insulated pipe (similar to the Z supply stuff), most people won't recommend it because if you get water in the pipe you're pretty much done. I put it in about 3 years ago now, buried it very carefully and it works fine for me. I don't notice any major temp drop unless it sits idle for a couple hours. My main concern at the time was price the wrap pipe was $6 a foot, the foamed stuff double that, and when you're buying almost 300 ft it adds up fast.

I used pipe from a company called badger insulated pipe (similar to the Z supply stuff), most people won't recommend it because if you get water in the pipe you're pretty much done. I put it in about 3 years ago now, buried it very carefully and it works fine for me. I don't notice any major temp drop unless it sits idle for a couple hours. My main concern at the time was price the wrap pipe was $6 a foot, the foamed stuff double that, and when you're buying almost 300 ft it adds up fast.
What can you do carefully in the install process to prevent water intrusion?

What can you do carefully in the install process to prevent water intrusion?

Don't poke any holes in the pipe. Ideally put sand in the bottom of the trench, and cover the pipe with sand. I buried the actual pipe by hand. After it was completely covered and there was no chance of any rocks hitting the pipe I finished filling in the trench with the dozer.

It's the same process we use when burying high voltage lines.

the XT product from Z-supply is very nice and easy to work with. I just replaced my lines with it....double walled product that is VERY durable. It was between that and Logstor.....logstor being double the price and actually rated for more of a heat loss than the Z-supply stuff. Z-supply actually uses R-foam with a radiant barrier...not cheap make china stuff.....the stuff is 100% USA made. They even use high quality watts pex. i hesitated on going with the wrapped product again....but this stuff is nice...take your time with installation and you will be fine...make sure to put end caps on both ends!

The problem with the ratings is that is for new pipe.

There is lots of potential for wet to get into the wrapped stuff between the layers, after a period of time in the ground, which would then absolutely kill the ratings on it.

Not saying it will happen in all cases, it might do for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.