Which way does smoke swirl while ascending a liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke? Who has smoke coming out their chimney? Not me. ;-) Hope that bad wood burning forum doesn't catch wind of this.

Smoke? Who has smoke coming out their chimney? Not me. Hope that bad wood burning forum doesn’t catch wind of this.

Come on Todd! Not even a "little smoke"???...lol

Sounds like a "good topic" in the making...lol

Ok I bite here: Got a question for the engineering types: If water flows clockwise when draining would accention require the reverse directional flow?

It was mentioned before naturally smoke will follow the path and formation of the chimney

elkimmeg said:
Ok I bite here: Got a question for the engineering types: If water flows clockwise when draining would accention require the reverse directional flow?

It was mentioned before naturally smoke will follow the path and formation of the chimney

Are you looking at if from above or below?

When describing the direction of a spiral it is best to use the terms "right hand" and "left hand".

Just one of those absolute engineering type things. :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/83049/

water doesnt flow clockwise when draining so thats a mute point elk :)

Maybe I'll start a small fire in the stove and throw in a colored incense stick and go up top and watch it "swirl"....LOL....

Why don't we post the question to the BI forum? Since they are the people who see smoke all the time, they must surely know.
Oh that's right there blowing smoke over there :)

Could the cause of the swirling be a rolling vortex formed by the surface friction on the inside of the pipe causing higher pressure, hot air slowed at the surface to be pulled into the middle by the faster center airs lower pressure? The rolling of the air then falling back to laminar flow as the pressure is naturalised, causing the air flow to become a upward swirling rolling vortex inside the pipe.

OR is it a tip vortex formed at the vent top by passing air and the smoke just cought into it as it exits the vent top? Looking like a swerl that originated inside the vent but is realy a smoke trail of a moving exterior air mass vortex induced by the vent top in the wind stream..

I have seen a rolling vortex go in almost any direction relative to the observers point of view.

I would get into the math but that was a long lost book ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.