1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Which way does your woodshed face?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Rory, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Rory

Rory Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    I imagine that facing South is ideal with East a close second, followed by West and trailed by North, but some people's yards and entryways just don't allow for ideal placement, and the roof is by far the most important component anyways. Who has woodsheds in a snowy clime facing West or North, and how does it work for you?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Mine has the opening facing the house. That happens to be south, but it doesn't matter. The wood doesn't go in the shed until it's dry.
    nate379 and Nixon like this.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Wind blows from the west here. Open stacks run south-north so west wind can blow through entire stack.

If I had a shed that was open on one side, I'd leave have the opening to the east, southeast, or south. Of course, if I had limited space, it would go wherever it fit best.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Run East West ( face N) .
    Winter only the south side gets sun. Now N & S getting sun.
    N side in the sun early morning,
    then hottest sun on the S face until evening
    then N side gets some evening sun .
  5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I have doors on my wood sheds, I got sick of the snow blowing in them. The doors on both shed face the East.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    South . . . but like PapaDave . . . it just worked out that way as I had some footings already in place and it faces my back yard and back porch in that way . . . and just like PapaDave, for me it doesn't matter since the wood is dried a year or two before it goes into the shed and then it gets to sit there for another year before I burn it as I have a large woodshed.
  7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    East to west during the fall and winter this year as the winds blow out of the north. I also have north/south stacks on the property line that will benefit from the westerly and occasionally easterly breezes in the spring and summer.

Right now, I split some about 2 weeks ago that I have stacked loosely at the end of the driveway and it is east/west. In the couple of weeks I have noticed lots of cracking happening in the splits. The wind still hits these pretty good for the next month or so. Always a good northerly breeze most days. This is like a pre-dry because I am going to move this onto the property line soon.

Don't know if any of this makes sense, but I figure if the wood is cracking, then its drying. Should help speed along the process.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Woodshed is the barn so it doesn't matter as the barn is closed. However, the stacks outside generally run north/south.
  9. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Mine faces South , but it's because it faces the house as others have said . And, as others have said , it's only " seasoned wood "that goes into it .
  10. privatejoker75

privatejoker75 Member

Loc:
    Goldstake, WA
    South. I hang a big blue tarp on it during the winter to keep the snow out.