Which wood leaves more,less ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I have been burning in my lopi liberty mostly evening's and nights, some 24/7 fires for the last week and a half and have yet to need to remove any ashes. I'm burning dry ash, oak,locust, and a few semi-seasoned maple splits. Last year I was taking ashes out of the liberty every 2 or 3 days because I thought the stove was burning better with less ashes. Turns out I was wrong. It burns better with more ash in the firebox but it is taking room away from loading wood. The only thing I've removed from the firebox in the last week and a half was the rock hard ash right in front of the dog house air. Even with 24/7 burns I find I only need to remove the ashes maybe once a week if that. I am going to have to clean it out before Friday because its going to finally get cold here again and I am going to be back to 24/7 burns again. With my old dutchwest stove I was emptying the ash pan 2 or 3 times a week and I have been burning the same kind of wood for years. I'm starting to think(which is never a good idea for me :bug: ) the stove is burning up all the ash

Before my Garn, I burned the liberty 24/7 from November or so through March. I think I took the ashes out about 4 times a season....if that. Really not until wood volume was really hampered! Can't say it helps it burn better, I'm just lazy and dreaded the mess it made. But ash build up with the Liberty seemed very minimal to me as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.