Which would you get and why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plebe

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Southern NH
I am looking at two very different Pellet stoves. The Breckwell P23 and the Avalon Astoria. They both have very similar features, slight difference in BTU output and Capacities. The appearance of the Avalon would seem to indicate a high quality. The price difference between the two is $800. Is the Avalon worth the extra $$?

Maybe not.

They are both well known brands, and Avalon may be a step up....but whether it is $800 up is another story. Are they available from the same dealer? What is the service and warranty information? That is very important. For instance, if the Avalon is available from a local servicing dealer and the Breckwell is not, that is a good reason to go with the Avalon. As with any purchase, you have to weigh out all the variables and value received....which includes future service, parts, dealer attitude, ettc.

Two different dealers, one is a larger one (avalon) that has two stores in nh. They install and service themselves. Though when speaking to them about install, they only typically run stove pipe into flue , and not all the way to the top. All other dealers I spoke to say you must do all the way to top.

Second dealer is a small dealer (Breckwell), they do not do installs but have a list of installers that they recommend.

Both dealers do their own service.

plebe said:
I am looking at two very different Pellet stoves. The Breckwell P23 and the Avalon Astoria. They both have very similar features, slight difference in BTU output and Capacities. The appearance of the Avalon would seem to indicate a high quality. The price difference between the two is $800. Is the Avalon worth the extra $$?

Please remember they are both rated on BTU input not output. There is a difference.

If a stove will burn a pound of pellets an hour it is burning at 8,3000 btu input. If a stove is burning five pounds of pellets an hour it is burning at 41,500 btu input per hour. Please remember this is not taking into account what heat is lost out the vent. If heat is going out the vent pipe it is basically lost. There is no regulating authority on how a manufacturer rates his btu. A lot of manufacturers do not rate their stoves accurately.

Eric

OK, so the Breckwell dealer does not install, but they service? That sounds interesting - how the heck does a shop keep on mechanics just for service? I wonder how long they have been in business? Both installs are probably OK by the owners manual, but lining to the top is best for a number of reasons.

Yes lining to the top is the best. Some customers I sell inserts to have a problem with the price of a liner kit and that install vs. getting the stove vented past the smoke shelf is a few bucks more. We are all trying to save money using a pellet stove but $200 (suggested list for 4" x 15' liner kit) to $475 (suggested list for 4" x 35' liner kit) for just the liner and parts plus the cost of the installer (usually the price of the parts) is a big jump to the cost of the insert.

As I said lining to the top is the best way to vent a pellet insert....

Eric

Hum, is it just for pellet that a stub into the chimney is still legal? My understanding in NJ, for wood insert, a liner to the top of the masonry chimney is "code", i.e., required. It is also much better, but again I'm speaking for wood .. do pellet fuels not produce creosote in a "cold" masonry chimney?

Pellet stoves running the "way they should" do not make creosote. That is one of the benefits of the pellet vs. wood. The "vent" not chimney will get some fly ash built up but that is easily taken care of.

Eric

No creosote is a benefit of anthracite coal too, but sulfuric acid is one of the downsides. I also like buying fuel with a certified weights-and-measures approach, e.g., scales for coal and factory bags for pellets. I contrast this with my experience with delivered split wood, always less than the agreed amount (cord).

The more visible fire and the chance to burn "free" fuel is what kept me with wood in our living room fireplace. I can easily get a half cord of mixed hard and soft wood off of my property, and I never burn more than two cords.

plebe said:

Just wanted to throw tis out there.
I just boughta Breckwell p23 from Ruralking.com

If you are interested you can call Mark Sims at 1-800-561-1752
I paid 1850 deivered
shipping is a little higher if you have it liftgated to your house.
Good luck

Dear Daniel,
Thanks for your order from Rural King.
A brief summary of your order is below.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Order Summary:
Order ID:
Order Total:
Merchandise Total: $1,849.99
Discounts: $0.00
Sub-Total: $1,849.99
Local Tax: $0.00
State/Province Tax: $0.00
Country Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Handling: $0.00
Order Total: $1,849.99