White Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
Ringoes NJ
I just bucked, split and stacked about 2 cords of White Ash, do ya think it will
be ok to burn this winter??? I heard ash dries really fast and I can keep the top covered
so the rains will not bother it.

Attachments

• white oak.jpg
    white oak.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 239
Thanks man, I have about 10 cords of this stuff to buck and split yet, I'll be good for awhile.

May your woodshed always be full and all your kindling dry.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense like perfume.
Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter's cold.
But an ash wet or ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

It makes for good kindling too.....it just flies apart when using a hand axe when dry.

WoodButcher

Ash dries quickly and has less moisture than most other woods, but I'd check it with a moisture meter to make sure. You don't want to run wet wood through your cat and cause thermo shock.

Also, there is no need to cover the top to keep the rain out. Better to leave it uncovered so as to allow better evaporation.

Some will say ash is not so good and they are usually comparing to oak. True, oak is better, but not a great deal. Ash truly is a good burning wood and will keep you warm.

Good luck.

There is a fair difference between white ash, green ash, Texas ash, black ash, etc. One person gets a load of black ash and thinks "not much heat" Another gets white ash and thinks "Aye Carumba".

I've been burning white ash since the late '70's and never knew until very recently here that you could burn it almost right away. HUH!

The guys dropped off another Ash tree for me today. About 28" diameter. It was cut down yesterday. I cut & split it this
afternoon & that was absolutely amazed at how wet it was. It was so soaked that the wood was actually stringy. I guess all this rain we've been having is going right inside the trees.
Al

lobsta1 said:
The guys dropped off another Ash tree for me today. About 28" diameter. It was cut down yesterday. I cut & split it this
afternoon & that was absolutely amazed at how wet it was. It was so soaked that the wood was actually stringy. I guess all this rain we've been having is going right inside the trees.
Al

Yeh, thats what I'm talking about, mine was pretty wet too, I hoping it will be alright in a couple of months...

Hi -
We have the Emerald Ash bore i nmy area. I burn 80-90% white ash. Even fairly healthy live trees will dry in 2-3 months once split and stacked. I used long single rows that run North and South, so they catch morning and evening sun. I even did this during the winter the first year burning at this house.

I've got a cord waiting for splitting and stacking. It's a joy to split since it came from a woods; not many crotches makes for easy splitting.

ATB,
Mike P

savageactor7 said:
I've been burning white ash since the late '70's and never knew until very recently here that you could burn it almost right away. HUH!

Many, many moons ago due to some unforeseen problems, I burned 100% green white ash the whole winter. True, it was not as good as it would have been if it had been cut and seasoned, but we got by pretty well. Cleaned the chimney one extra time though and definitely used a little more wood. But, you definitely can burn white ash the same day you cut it if needed.

i have burnt it green many times,but you get more btu season.

I have a white ash right near my hosue that I have been eyeing to cut down. WOuld give me a face cord and might just do it. Needs to go anyways

Backwoods Savage said:
savageactor7 said:

Many, many moons ago due to some unforeseen problems, I burned 100% green white ash the whole winter. True, it was not as good as it would have been if it had been cut and seasoned, but we got by pretty well. Cleaned the chimney one extra time though and definitely used a little more wood. But, you definitely can burn white ash the same day you cut it if needed.

Thanks for the heads up Backwoods Savage...good to know in case I ever found myself in that situation. I take you did that in a pre EPA stove. Just curious if anyone has tried this with the newer secondary burn stoves...should be OK with an established fire but then again ...I dunno.

thats pretty much a given. I ahve also heard tht Cherry can be burned almost green? Anyone have any experience with this?

Cherry, I have burned Cherry, wet and dry...either way I found it hard to get going, you need a good coal bed.
It sure does smell good burning and does produce good coals. Good heat producer too.

White Ash is great stuff, and I have burned it barely seasoned (and may have to do so some again this year with various scheduling and weather snafus that have me behind on wood). Cherry definitely needs more time to dry and burn well than ash does, but it's still a good wood- it definitely leaves coals around longer than ash, at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.