White oak haul...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I started in on my second huge score of the year. My farmer friend had a large section of timber logged out and I was in there early this am cutting up white oak tops.I literally have more white oak than I know what do with...going to be a lot of cutting and splitting going on for sure...:) I also ran into some standing small dead elm..it came home with me...lol The BK is cruising along right now
White oak haul...
White oak haul...
on a load of elm...

Since I had some elm inside from the same spot that I cut yesterday I was curious as to what the moisture content was...the highest reading was 17% with the vast majority falling in the 14% range...you gotta love elm!

Last edited:
Not a bad problem to have more than you'll know what to do with it ! Looking good....
Nope...its not a bad problem at all as there has been times when desperation ruled the day...:)

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Right! What kind of weather are you having out there?
The weather has been all over the scale this year.Makes it hard to get firewood out.Very little snow fall.January has tied records for the warmest average. I drive a concrete truck for a living and we have poured every day except for 1! How about your neck of the woods?

My experience with Elm is....never split without a Hydraulic Splitter.....brutal with a Maul

Reactions: Tar12 and D8Chumley