White Oak Score-A win any way you look at it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gents:

A corworker of mine mentions in passing that he has a huge tree overhanging his driveway that's always dropping crud on his car, and he wants the tree gone. He got an estimate from a tree service that he thought was way too high. I put him in touch with a tree guy who has done work for me, told the tree guy that if the got the job, I wanted the wood. His estimate came in much lower than the other guy, and he is insured etc. He gets the job, and tells me there are about two cords of white oak rounds waiting for me, only 15 minutes from my house. It took several trips even with a tandem axle trailer, but mercy me, everybody came out a winner on this one. This will be for 2014-2015. I know, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Wow Rich. That is definitely a great score. Enjoy.

White oak's a nice score no matter how you got it.

Nice score!
Premium BTU wood, just takes some more time to season well.

Cant beat wood that's allready cut.

Wow, win-win-win!
I've yet to score any oak yet, but have had nothing but sugar maple in my scrounging.

White oak is great wood, but it will take a while to season so figure on using it the winter of 2013-2014 at the earliest. White oak is one of my favorites to cut and split. I love the smell of white oak whether it is burning or just sitting in the stack drying out.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.