1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

white spruce crabbes delivered today from SIB.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by St_Earl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. tumbles

tumbles Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    steve is a real nice guy. I don't know how he made any money doing what he was doing. I'm sure the money he's charging covers his fuel. We are all paying the high price on fuel these days too. It make things a little tougher for him by charging a drop fee, but I don't blame him for doing it. I too let my stove just run. I figure the pellets I save is washed out by going through the igniter so I just let her run. It's pellets or an igniter in my opinion, so I just let her burn. In the shoulder season I use a ductless ac (heat pump) and find this works well for me. However, when I run it all the time, I just turn it way way down so I'm not sweating do death. Just MHO. I'm down to 250 gallons a year and 2.5 tons of pellets. I can tell you this, I'm never cold in my house. I keep the stove running 24/7 and it keeps the house 75 + - all the time. When I used just oil, I used 750 - 800 gallons and the house was 67 +-. I'lll stick with pellets!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    But I think what Earl was getting at is he doesn't like the chill that comes with the "off" time. I don't either. That's why I run my stove in stove mode when it's real cold out. Throwing heat all the time.
  3. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    All the time is not exact no furnace matches its load to demand exactly they attempt to by means of sizing and/or outdoor reset.

Heres some good reading:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?655771-What-is-a-modulating-furnace ( simpler description )

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/heatingandcooling/a/Modulating-Furnace.htm

http://www.raypak.com/support/tech_corner/modulation ( more complex reading )

If you think your burning fewer pellets by shutting your stove on and off rather then adjusting the feed rate to match the heat loss you may very well be. But your also sacrificing comfort unless a couple degree swing does not bother you.
  4. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    I find pellets heat my home much better than oil ever did and besides its nice to know someone that has the same or simular values as I is getting my money not some sand flea that maybe funding a terorist!
  5. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    My oil is coming from South Dakota. A stove beats a central heating system with a register in every room, and cold air returns, something wrong at your house.