Whitfield Adv ll-T Lazy burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When measuring the motor voltage, you should read from one lead to the other, not to ground. Your reading of 1.1 (AC volts?) probably means you had line voltage on the motor, and your 56 reading probably means you had around 60 volts across the motor. With line voltage across the motor, as Smokey says, the motor should get up to full speed almost immediately. Your motor is ill.

heat seeker said:
When measuring the motor voltage, you should read from one lead to the other, not to ground. Your reading of 1.1 (AC volts?) probably means you had line voltage on the motor, and your 56 reading probably means you had around 60 volts across the motor. With line voltage across the motor, as Smokey says, the motor should get up to full speed almost immediately. Your motor is ill.

I think you are dead on. I went back and retook some voltage readings....the right way. Convection fan shows 60 on low and 120 on high. Combustion fan was 95 on 1 and 108 on 5. It's a little out of the number range on that voltage sheet but it doesn't seem like those numbers would give me the slowing/stopping fan issue.

smyler316 said:
heat seeker said:

I think you are dead on. I went back and retook some voltage readings....the right way. Convection fan shows 60 on low and 120 on high. Combustion fan was 95 on 1 and 108 on 5. It's a little out of the number range on that voltage sheet but it doesn't seem like those numbers would give me the slowing/stopping fan issue.

There is a bit of slop introduced by the meter used to measure the voltages, then there is an adjustment range that can shift the voltages a bit either way. then there is line voltage variation, then those voltages have a tolerance range. Every bodies mileage is gonna vary ;-).

ETA: Your board is good and perhaps not exactly tunned up for its current installation bit it isn't causing your problems.

Sounds like the same problem I had with my Whitfield Advantage ll
I replaced the blower motor and it worked for a little while.
It turned out to be the triacs on the board.
I had the board rebuilt ($100.00 last year) and it has been working great since.
I'll try to dig up a link for the board rebuilder if you want

Several years ago I had a similar problem with my Whit. When I started the stove the motor would spin up verrrrrrry slowly and take 30-40 seconds to reach full speed and it was getting worse with time. I could not locate any of the turbo oil that they want you to use. The stove guy (this is before I became the stove guy) suggested 3in1. I didn't think I should use dyno oil with the high heat, so I used Mobil1 10W-30. Only a couple of drops, I guess you can over oil it (bad). That didn't help, so I used a couple more drops. I think I overdid it, because oil dripped from the motor onto the bottom of the stove. But, over several days the problem got better and finally went away. It has been fine since and this was at least 3, maybe 4 years ago. I still oil the motors every fall and mid-season with a drop or two of Mobil1, not very much. If the bearing that I can see is wet, I don't oil it. YMMV with the Mobil1.

wert, please post the link for the board repair, could come in handy.

I bought a replacement blower today in case I can't revive the current one with a little more oil.

Wert, that would be great if you could fine that guy's info. If my board does go south I think I'd either go the rebuild route or try out Snowy River's make your own controls method.

Controller repair service:

hearth.com member name: Control Panel Repairman

Repairs to all Whitfield analog and digital control panel boards
Other brands also!

Examples

Whitfield Advantage II-T, III & Plus Control Board
Whitfield part number 12055902, PSC120A, Y2679, W1801-2
Advantage II-T (WP2)
Advantage III (WP2)
Advantage Plus (WP7)

Send me a PM with your panel part # and symptom

Fast turnaround. All work guaranteed.

Thanks
David
[email protected]

smyler316 said:
I bought a replacement blower today in case I can't revive the current one with a little more oil.

Wert, that would be great if you could fine that guy's info. If my board does go south I think I'd either go the rebuild route or try out Snowy River's make your own controls method.
See next post
David is your man

Status
Not open for further replies.