Whitfield Advantage ii fire brick question. Is this dangerous?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clincoln007

Oct 11, 2014
mass
I just cleaned my stove and notice it looks like a small piece of the center fire brick either burnt or broke off? I didn't notice until i had the fire going again. Its an oval opening right next to the chute. Ill try to add a picture. Can this be dangerous? The rest of the fire brick is intact and behind the center is just a metal wall. If the picture is here its to the bottom left of the chute.

Attachments

• 1422228315012.jpg
    1422228315012.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 118
The fire brick serves to purposes.

Looks
Shields the back plate of the fire box.

Scare up a little piece of steel or stainless steel and stuff in behind the fire pot to cover the hole.

Get a new fire brick, or pull the old one out and clean it carefully and patch it with refractory cement.

You can get the cement at many ACE hdwr stores.

Get all the ash off the board, then lay it on a flat hard surface covered with wax paper.

Fill and smooth in the refractory cement and let it harden.

You may need to wrap a Toilet paper tube with wax paper to use as form in that area.

Get the angle of things right so your repaired board will slip over the drop tube.

I have done this on a couple stoves, and it will give you some extra years of run time.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.