Whitfield Advantage II-T problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drtnshtr

Hearth Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
Ohio
Ok my stove just quit working this morning at 4am after burning all night. Last year you guys walked me through fixing it and Im hoping I can get it fixed again. When I turn the red auger button on the light comes on and begins flashing(auger doesnt turn though) but when I push the button to start the Combustion blower it starts for just a split second and quits. I have bypassed the switches but that didnt help. I ran a jumper to the combustion blower and it works fine as well as the auger. Any suggestions? control board? anything im forgetting to do here? Thanks in advance!!!

drtnshtr said:
Ok my stove just quit working this morning at 4am after burning all night. Last year you guys walked me through fixing it and Im hoping I can get it fixed again. When I turn the red auger button on the light comes on and begins flashing(auger doesnt turn though) but when I push the button to start the Combustion blower it starts for just a split second and quits. I have bypassed the switches but that didnt help. I ran a jumper to the combustion blower and it works fine as well as the auger. Any suggestions? control board? anything im forgetting to do here? Thanks in advance!!!

Sounds to me like the Vacuum switch is Triped or bad

Have you cleaned the venting and all ash traps including pulling the combustion blower out.

All kinds of help on our site
how to clean
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitclean.htm
Trouble shooting
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/lowlimit.htm

working on cleaning the CB out as we speak...where is the vacuum switch? is it the same as the switch on the side of the CB?

Thanks Rod..I have read this prior to posting and have tested the vacuum switch by blowing in the hose..it sounds like it opening ok..I checked it for power and it gets voltage when the button is pushed. I bypassed the vaccum switch and it still doesnt work. I cleaned the combustion blower out as well. Does my stove have the hopper and door switches? If it makes a difference...I have to unplug and plug it back in when I push the button in order to make the CB start.but it just sounds like its starting and it quits. seems likeit s definitley in this vacuum but i would of thought that when bypassing it should have worked. maybe im doing it wrong?

drtnshtr said:
Thanks Rod..I have read this prior to posting and have tested the vacuum switch by blowing in the hose..it sounds like it opening ok..I checked it for power and it gets voltage when the button is pushed. I bypassed the vaccum switch and it still doesnt work. I cleaned the combustion blower out as well. Does my stove have the hopper and door switches? If it makes a difference...I have to unplug and plug it back in when I push the button in order to make the CB start.but it just sounds like its starting and it quits. seems likeit s definitley in this vacuum but i would of thought that when bypassing it should have worked. maybe im doing it wrong?

So you put the two wires going to the vacuum switch together and NO workie?
IS THERE POWER GOING TO THE AUGER MOTOR?
If not Trace it back to find if it is a Limit switch or a bad connection

here is a PDF with all wire diagrams for Whitfield
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf

The best way to find out is to use a meeter or a NON contact voltage stick to see if power is going in and out of the Limit switch and Vacuum switch
other wise you are just wasting your time.
Whitfield Advantage II-T problems

http://www.professionalequipment.co...er-fluke-1ac-a1-ii/fluke-multimeters-testers/

im using a regular wired voltage tester and im not getting power to the auger mototr when its correctlly hooked to the control panel. I can switch the location and get the auger and the CB working but i cannot seem to get the room blower to work unless i supply power to it with the jumper. almost seems as if im losing power coming out of control board. hooked vacuum wires together and still nothing.

trace the power all the way back to the control board
If no power is coming from the control board to the auger (not 100% on. remember there is feed times on and off)
then the control board is bad but very rare.

I have followed these instructions and removed the relay.http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf
this allowed the auger to work when i turned it on....now i need the Cb and CV to work.

do i change the wiring now to follow the wiring diagram for stoves that start with SN38081?? or am I barking up the wrong tree thinking this CSR is bad?

drtnshtr said:
I have followed these instructions and removed the relay.http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf
this allowed the auger to work when i turned it on....now i need the Cb and CV to work.

do i change the wiring now to follow the wiring diagram for stoves that start with SN38081?? or am I barking up the wrong tree thinking this CSR is bad?

If you have the old Control board and the relay
then YES RE wire the stove like the PDF file shows and you will be good to go.
I THINK?

or update to a new control board.
UNLESS you have the Very old BLACK face board and there is NO replacement for it and I just sold my last one.
I guess you could use the New board and Re wire the whole thing. I never look into what it would take.

Attachments

• Whitfield Advantage II-T problems
    relay1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4,926
  • Whitfield Advantage II-T problems
    relay2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,874
Ok I changed it over. not sure which board I have but my SN is 24379 if that helps. I have auger but no CV and CB...I also went out and bought a non-contact voltage probe:)

OK I have my auger and CB working together but still no CV...my board is either screwed up or something else is going on...I have 2 empty slots on the board just to get the auger and CB working. I can jump the CV and it works but I cannot seem to find a slot for the CV to get it to come on with the other 2...can i just tie the CV in with the CB since they both have to be on for the stove to operate anyway? When running the CV wire to #6 and also #3 like in the diagram the CV will operate intermentently with the auger....??? combustion fan will only operate on #6 and #7..

The dealer that I bought my auger motor from just called me back (730pm on a saturday:)) He is very nice older fellow that took my serial # from my stove and is going to check and see what circuit board my stove has. He thinks it may not be the correct board for the updated wiring diagram and everything is "out of sync"....this makes since I suppose...how much is the updated circuitboard and do you think that could be the issue?

I have it running again but Im sure I have just put a band aid on the real problem. I have the CB and CV running off of the same post on the circuit board and they run and shut off like they should when fire is out. The auger has its own link to the circuit board and it works like it should. The switches are hooked up like the new schematic shows...I will add a link to another forum that may be of interest to other whitfield owners with control board issue. This is to a forum not on pellet stoves necessarily but an electronics guru board that happens to be talking about the whitfield circuit board issues.

http://forum.servomagazine.com/view...&start=0&sid=42451ea19293793d41de81ce9bd0ca70

Rod, Thanks for all the help with my whitfield its burning great again and actually better than before. I cleaned it better than ever this time as I normally just go all over it a few times/yr with the vacuum attachment....cleaning out the CB with a shop vac this time did wonders for it. I can actually burn it on the lowest (1) setting now without it going out. Im sure my control or circuit board is probably the culprit but I got it wired up nicely it seems. It was 30 degrees this morning outside but 80 on my first floor and 70 upstairs. If I could figure out a way to get more heat upstairs with this stove I would have it made. Thanks again!!!

glad to help
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.