Whitfield Advantage owners manual and where to start?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow_man

Hearth Supporter
Feb 15, 2010
PA
I will start this with saying that I have perused the topics and read many of the lengthy discussions. Thank you! They have provided a wealth of information. I used this information to make my purchase today. It is a 1996 Whitfield Advantage WP2 pellet insert. After all the reading I found that Whitfield's are built like tanks and parts are still avaiable if needed. I like the sound of that. Paid $300 for it with some exhaust vent. Anyway, I plugged it in and started it up and everything seemed to be functioning. I had air coming out where it should be and the auger was moving, slowly, but moving. It is very dirty and I have the time now to clean it up and get it ready for next winter. yes next winter. I still have wood to burn this year. Any advice or tricks of the trade to get it clean and ready would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and want to do it right. Also, I am in need of an owners manual for it. Serial number 099111 Manufactured 11/96 WP2 Advantage insert.

It needs a new piece of glass (thank goodness it's a flat piece!), a good cleaning and possible the power cord. I think I may have accidentally left it at the house which is 1.5 hours away. The previous owners were leaving for FL today for a funeral and won't be back for about a week or so. Would it be possible to wire it into a cord that goes into a receptacle? Or, should I really have the correct power cord for it? I have a blower for my fireplace right now that has a new power cord that I could just wire in if it would work.

I guess I gave my self a new project.

Any and all help is greatly appreciate, Jim

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at it. I am hoping to post some before and after pics. Thanks again!

Send me a E-mail and I will send you a attachment of a newer model, but the same info for free. Can't attach it here the files too big.

Found the power cord! Whew, I was a little worried about that. Before they helped me load it in my truck they put the power cord in the hopper so it wouldn't get lost. I did a preliminary quick vac to get all of the loose ash and dust off before bringing it into the basement for the major cleaning. Gonna try to take some pics before I start the real cleaning. I will post as I get them loaded.

Got excitred and started taking it apart before taking pics. Then I remembered! But I have to figure out how to post them. Man it is very dirty. I am no expert but I took out about 3 ash pans full once I started pulling pieces off. I have some questions for you.

1. Looks like they left small amount of pellets in hopper and the auger is partially rusted. I am planning on getting the steelwool and polishing it back up along with the auger housing. Should this do the trick or is more needed to get the job done right? I do not know how clean and shiny I need to get it.

2. There is a ton of dust on the motors and all the elctrical. I cannot even see the copper windings, My buddy told me about a ncleaner he uses at work to clean blowers and such on refrigeration equip. Would something like this work for this without damaging it.? It is supossedly electrical motor and equipment safe. He says he uses it all the time. But that is for work and more industrial stuff.

3. Once I get it all cleaned out, can I spray hi-temp stove paint in the areas of the firebox that have surface rust? I know it is high temp, I just didn't know how well it would hold up.

Finally, I will get pics on as soon as I read all the instructions and figure out how to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) sounds good...go for it!

2) be careful!...what ever cleans really good (industrial) make take some life out of your motor bearings...and you'll need to oil all the motors that need oiling.

3) paint is good...just don't forget the sandpaper...surface prep is everything!

Are there special places to oil the motors? I don't want to over oil them. I may want to pull them off and see what I can get out with a little compressed air too.

arrow_man said:
Are there special places to oil the motors? I don't want to over oil them. I may want to pull them off and see what I can get out with a little compressed air too.

The manual SHOULD give you oiling requirements and locations. My convection motor has oil ports, combustion fan doesn't.

There are 2 Oil ports on each motor, they should have Black Rubber plugs on top of the motors. If your stove is older it will have them. The newer stoves have oil free bearing. I think the older fan motor are better than the new ones just because you can oil them.

a lot of trouble shooting and cleaning tips are in the yellow stickiy pages at the top of the pellet room

as far as the power cord goes
it is the same as any Computer or monitor uses and most of us have extras laying around.

If it was mine I would take each motor out and blow them off with compressed air brushing the fins on each motor. What you'll find is no damage is done to the windings and the motors will look almost new. Next I would take the insides apart and blow the inside of the stove making sure you get the tubes on the top. Next I would put the stove back together then test fire it making sure the stove is in working order. Next I would sand the rust spots and find a high temp stove paint and paint it the color of your liking. Then I would fire it outside no vent on the lowest setting to bake in the paint. once this is done I would blow it out again with air and put a coat of wd-40 on all burn chamber surfaces. The wd-40 will protect it from rust and will burn off in the fall when you fire it. If it is going on a cement floor put floor protection down the bottom will rust being in contact with cement. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I was working on it again last night. I have taken all sheet metal trim off to clean and I dismantled the inside. Wow it is dirty dirty dirty!! I have gotten most of the ash out. I thought I had most of it before I went down last night. but I found even more. I will work tonight to get it out of a few spots I found by accident. I found them with compresed air and had a wonderful white cloud of ash in my basement. I have also gotten most of the rust off of it.

The auger was a little tougher, I used a wire wheel on my drill and got most of it off the auger and hopper area.

Next I started taking the motors off and cleaning them. You guys were right, a little compressed air did wonders for the motors. They are now oiled and much cleaner. Next I need to finish cleaning the fins. I was looking at the yellow tabbed pages in the area of why it is important to clean. The motors in those pictures looked like they were in clean compared to mine.

I have to still get a piece of glass for the middle glass. the side glass seems to be intact, I will work on the whole door assembly once I have everything else done.

It is coming along nicely, I wish I had time to get the pics on. I have the pics taken and will get them whenever I have a chance. Busy time of year for me. I also need to remember to wear a mask! I keep forgetting to get it out when I start.

Thanks again for all the advice. It is much appreciated and used.

Well everything appears to be working on it and I was able to get the motors oils and most of the rust off the auger. Looks pretty good! I started it up without pellets to see what still worked. it was much quieter and seemed to run better. I turned the auger on and it rotated like it should. The blowers work in conjunction with the control panel and speed up and down as I go throught the different speeds. The low limit switch turned the fans off after about 20 miutes of running. I am complete happy with it right now.

Took the broken glass out and cleaned the window and the window wash.

Also put a few coats of stove paint on the main box except the door. Tonight I am ordering the glass for the middle window and going to finish cleaning up the door. It too will get a fresh coat of paint.

After that will be to clean up the trim pieces and see how they look. Not sure if they need a coat of paint or not. They are a different paint from the looks of it.

Then I will do a test fire and slowly bake the new paint. That may happen once the weather breaks and I can get it outside.

Sounds great!

You'll have great satisfaction knowing that your stove is as good as it can be...and it's longevity is not hindered due to neglect of preventive maintenance.

Quick update for you. Sorry. still need to work on the pics. But I am very glad I have decided to do this myself. With all of your help I was able to check through the whole system and see that everything is functioning. Thanks again.

I also have learned a wealth of information regarding the insert and the mechanics behind it. I did not realize the simplicity and ease of access to most of the parts for repairs and cleaning.

The project is coming along nicely. I have ordered the glass from One Day Glass as it was the least expensive around. It would have cost me an extra $15-$20 to get it locally. I have painted the door and started reassembling the firebox. A simple wipe down on the firebrick cleaned them fairly nicely without destroying them. I can't wait to get this thing assembled and outside to run and cure the new paint.

Total cost to this point before exhaust pipe:

Glass $72
Oil for motor bearings $3
Stove paint (2 spray bombs) $16
4 rubber bumpers to use as caps for motor oiling holes $3
Abrasive discs (2) $14
Steel wool $4
1 bag of pellets to test drive it $6
Parts total $ 118 and about 12-15 hours of work.
Bought stove for $300
Total $418. Not too bad!!

I feel like I have brought something back from the dead and it is going well. Not too much left to do on it. I still need to finish assembling and then it is time to wipe down the outside panels and check them to see if I need a new coat of paint on them. I may be able to just clean them and then use a little touch up paint instead of sanding and repainting everything. I need to see how badly they are scratched up from sitting in a garage.

A big thanks to all who have offered advice and manuals. I have printed them and have thm in a big 3 ring binder for reference. I gotta get these pics to you to see the stove before and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.