Whitfield Advantage pellet feed augur jammed tight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roncordell

Dec 31, 2009
North Georgia
I pulled out my Whitfield Advantage pellet stove to do a remodel of the room it was in. Apparently some moisture found its way into the pellets still in the augur when I pulled it out because the augur is jammed tight. I've pulled off the motor and the back plate of the augur. I've cleaned out the augur as much as I can, but the upper part of the augur isn't open so I can't get to it. My question is, should the augur just come out once I've pulled off the backing plate, or is there something else holding it in? I've tried turning it with vise grips on the shaft - no go. I've tried knocking it back with gentle blows of a mallet, but it doesn't budge. Any hints would be appreciated.

It should just pull out it must just be stuck up in there with the pellets swollen around it wedging it up. Can you put a drift pin through the bolt hole at the motor end and try to twist it a litte to get it moving out?

I'd try using that rubber mallet you mentioned, but don't hit it toward the stove......tap the shaft up a little, then down, then side to side, repeat, etc. If you can get it to move some, then try "unscrewing" the auger out of the flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.