Whitfield Auger wont stop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dleenstra

Jan 9, 2016
Seattle
Hello,

I hit the start button on my whitfield advantage and the auger starts spinning, without ever pressing the auger button. The auger lights don't flash like it used to while it was feeding. It just runs nonstop.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Unplug the stove for a few minutes to reset the control.

Do you have a surge suppressor on the stove?

You may have a control board problem, such as a shorted triac or stuck relay, both repairable if you're comfortable with soldering.

Unplug the stove for a few minutes to reset the control.

Do you have a surge suppressor on the stove?

You may have a control board problem, such as a shorted triac or stuck relay, both repairable if you're comfortable with soldering.

I did unplug overnight. Still running nonstop.

I don't have a suppressor or protector on the stove.

Triac or Relay? Am comfortable soldering, any more input or direction on the repair is incredibly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with your control, but I would follow the trace on the board that feeds the motor until I came to the device that controls the motor (triac/relay), then test that component with an ohmmeter. Triacs are inexpensive, as are most small relays.

I would urge you to get a good quality suppressor for your stove to help prevent voltage spikes from getting to the control. Too late this time, but for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.