Whitfield Profile 20 Not Lighting - HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve H.

Oct 5, 2016
Washington
I have a Whitfield Profile 20 (about 12 years old). I have replaced the igniter several times and have also replaced the door seal. I deep clean the stove yearly and clean it daily if it is being used a lot. I use Bear Mountain pellets.

My stove was not lighting, so I ordered a new igniter and installed it along with the new fuse. I cleaned the Photo eye (old style in the hopper). My stove is still not lighting with the igniter. If I start the fire, there are no issues - it works perfectly.

Could this be a faulty relay on the circuit board or the control panel?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is power getting to the ignitor?? Sounds like it isn't. I'd check the wiring to the ignitor too. Could be the control board too I believe.

Yes...I believe the ignitor is getting power as it is glowing, but after being on for 10 minutes...no flame or smoke. I checked the temperature of the igniter with an infra red thermometer and it registered 120 degrees.

Here is a chart of metal temp at different stages of glowing
I think your thermometer is out of whack
Is your combustion fan working ?
Color Approximate Temperature
°F
°C K
Faint Red
930 f

500 c

770 k

Blood Red

Dark Cherry

Medium Cherry

Cherry

Bright Cherry

Salmon

Dark Orange

Orange

Lemon

Light Yellow

White

Oh ok, if the ignitor is glowing, is the exh blower putting out good airflow?? And your ultragrate is not warped around where the hot air is coming into it? Whitfield ignitors normally light very well, very robustly. Any leakage around the ash housing, not letting the airflow go correctly?? Just some thoughts...

Thank you Stovelark. Yes, the blower is working normally. Ultragrate is not warped. I will check to see if there is leakage around the ash housing.

Could your pellets be damp? It sounds like everything else is working ok for auto ignition. Maybe try putting a small bit of newspaper in the grate and see if that ignites.

I had the same stove a few years back and that problem (on mine) always had something to do with the rubber hose that attaches to the exhaust manifold. I believe it used to clog but I can't remember exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.