Whitfield Profile 20 Split FIre Wall!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra1365

Jan 9, 2011
Delaware
Hi folks...newbie to the site. Wondering if anyone has ever experienced this before?

Yesterday, after a routine cleaning of the stove, I restarted it. Initially, the blower fan did not start up. I shut down the stove and opened the side door to inspect it. At that time the blower fan started (typical programmed fan run). So, I turned the thermostat back on and watched it ignite...everything appeared normal. I left the room and was going about my business (approx 5 minutes) and I smelled smoke. I ran back intot he room and it was billowing moke and sparks out through the heat tube area (the portion that the blower motor blows hot air through). I immediately shut down the thermostat to the stove and the fire died off but sparks continured. I bent down to see where the sparks were coming from and it appeared they were coming from behind the heat tubes. Eventually, the sparks subsided, but not before coniderable smoke was in the house and my pulse was twice the normal limit!

Today, I started diassembly of the stove to see what the issue was...my worst fear was confirmed when I removed the exhaust fan to gain clear sit of the fire box chamber wall. A burn through approx 1 inch long! From the attached photos, you can see what I am talking about.

I went out and purchased a replacement stove ($2500 I was not planning on spending!!!). I picked up the Pioneer by Lopi. Frustrating thing is the exhaust tube is on the opposite side and about 5 inches higher! So, ot only do I have a new stove, I have a hole in my wall I have to patch!

Anyone need some profile 20 parts? I disassembled the old stove and removed the control panel and wiring harness, all the blowers, sensors, auger and auger motor.

Here are photos of the burn through.
IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Is there a bracket or something welded on the other side? Thats what weld penetration looks like when welding on the opposite side and it has penetrated through.

Welcome to the forum Cobra1365.

What does that look like from inside the firebox?

Not exactly a fun thing to have happen.

I couldn't find a way to view it from inside the box...looks like it is between panels. I took the fake brick lining out and cleans the back wall. But, couldn't see the crack from there. I thought the same thing about a weld at first. But I don't know what would be welded there.

Sounds kind of scary smoke and sparks blowing out of the stove.
If the rest of the stove was working ok I would have tried to welded a patch over the burn through hole, but something tells me there is a internal heat exchanger issue and that would not be fun to repair, so you probably did the right thing retiring the stove. If the stove repair held I would of then started looking for a new stove in the spring/summer when the dealers are a little more hungry for sales. instead of spending $2500 on a new stove and having the venting aggravation you have now when it's cold out.

How old is our stove? I have a profile 30 and if I remember correctly the Whitfield stoves have a 20 year firebox warranty.

When I replaced my whitfield with the xxv the vent went from the upper left hand corner to the lower middle, with a corner install is was going to be a nightmare trying to put in a new thimble, I just used 2 adjustable 90's and was able to hook the XXV into the existing whitfield location without a problem. You might be able to come out of the stove with a 90 and out through the existing hole with another 90, worked for me.

AW1223 said:
How old is our stove? I have a profile 30 and if I remember correctly the Whitfield stoves have a 20 year firebox warranty.

Very good point. I think the Profile 20 was made starting in 2000, so that warranty should still be good. Contact Lennox.

Status
Not open for further replies.