Whitfield Profile 30-FS Blowing smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyboy

Jan 5, 2009
SW Washington
Been running the stove for 5 years with no issues except an auger motor replacement. Stove has been cleaned front to back. Exhaust motor and blower motor have been removed and cleaned. Ash traps and heat exchanger tubes have been cleaned. Stove is vented to 4" pipe with a 2' horizontal run to a vertical with a cleanout T. This has been cleaned. Stove will intermittently smoke heavily and vent into interior. The only thing I can think of is I high wind gust is causing back pressure in the vent and killing the combustion pressure preventing exhaust. The stove and pipe was professionally installed, but the pipe cap is suspect to me. It is a 90' fitting with a simple weatherhead. Could this be allowing wind in? Why now? Is it more likely my exhaust fan is not providing enough pressure?

Thanks.

Has the exhaust fan and that area been cleaned. Can you feel air coming out of the chimney ?
With high winds, I get a touch of fire smell. But you have to be in front of the stove to smell it, and ony when there is a really good gust.
Mine is straight out.

Status
Not open for further replies.