Whitfield profile 30 ins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosporsche

Dec 31, 2012
Shelton,ct
So I picked up a used whitfield 30 ins off Craigslist. The guy who owned it said it sat for 3 years as he used his new petrel furnace. Said he turned it on last week ran for about 10 min then shut off. He tried to restart but turned off again.

Fig 400 was a good deal what could go wrong. After I completely tore it Down cleaned every inch I fired it up and after start up mode it shut down.

After checking on hearth.com the best site out there I tested all sensors and switched and everything looked good. The photo eye seemed to work when I put light to it. Fired it up again and it shut down again so I bye passed the photo eye with a jumper while and she worked like a champ.

After checking the slot the is used for the photo eye I determined that the eye was not deep enough into the shoot. Basically I pulled the sensor half way on its mount. Used a flashlight in the feed shoot and I got a closed circuit on the meter. Put it all back and bam she's making heat.

So why all this well I read several posts that people made regards to the tested all the components and it still doesn't work. Some people say go buy a control board for 380$ which is crazy.

When these stoves go into start up mode most of the sensors are over written until it is running .

So for all the people on here testing a sensor on the bench is good but if its on the unit you might get a different reading.

Anyone with questions feel free to pm me and I can assist further.

I no it does I was saying that with the sensor removed from the stove it passed a bench test. The flaw comes from the small slot in the feed shoot that allows the light through. I lowered the sensor on its bracket and it works .

Status
Not open for further replies.