Whitfield quest air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mgo

Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I moved into a house last year with a Whitfield Quest. It is old but works well for the most part.

However, I recently took the back off to clean it and noticed the air intake pipe just ends as soon as it enters the back. Essentially just a 2" hole letting cold air into the house whenever the stove isn't running.

Is this how it's supposed to be setup? And is there a way to close it off when the stove is off?

IMG_20221130_080120.jpg IMG_20221130_080100.jpg

I believe that's for an Outside Air Kit (OAK) attachment.
You can take a look at Harman Stoves for their design to
prevent unregulated cold air flow. It's a flapper-type set up.
When combustion air is drawn in, the flapper opens slightly
to allow the passage into the burnpot. When no air is needed,
the flapper swings back to a closed position. Your best bet is
to install the OAK.

Reactions: tbear853
Yes, many older stoves were like that, some new ones still are. Some, like Austroflamm, you can connect the 2 together , and stove works fine. Yes, many people fail to realize the OAK should be unhooked and plugged when stove is not operating, in a stove like this. Even in newer stoves, when not running, where they are "connected, or sealed", you still have a big heat sink moving air through circulation. Stove draws heat from the room, it goes out the exhaust/up the chimney, draws cold air into the stove. Walk over and put your hand on any stove not running in cold weather, that has an OAK, and it will be cold to touch, not room temperature. Harman's have a little built in flap, that helps a lot. If not using stove for a while, unhook and plug holes.