whitfield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckguy

Oct 15, 2007
Courtenay BC, Canada
We have been using our Adv II for a couple of weeks now and its been pretty good so far but I have a couple of questions.

1. A couple of times when the stove has been going a couple of hours it seems like the flame is burning all around the exit hole for the pellet feed. The flames seem to dance all around the hole sometimes jumping up it slightly. The insulation around the feed hole is crumbling a little bit. Since this is our first pellet stove I am not sure this is correct. It seems like the flame is being drawn toward it instead of burning straight up. Any suggestions??

2. The other question is about the burn also. I have noticed that sometimes the pellets seem to pile up in the grate. It is like there is too much feed or not enuff air but it happens only when the stove has been on for awhile. The grate is the old style that seems to have a crack in it ,running up and thru the niddle of the grate holes. i was told by a local dealer that the new style grate and kit do not help that much.

Any help would be appreciated greatly thanksl

1) This is normal for a Whitfield Advantage #1. Also be sure your burn pot is resting in there correctly and not backwards.

2) This NOT normal Adjust your pellet feed slower or increase your combustion air blower. Also be sure to clean out clinkers. Just bang em' though the pot with your handle and scrape

So the stove now seems to only burn with the flame going directly back at the feed hole.The insulation around the hole is crumbling away and the flame now seems to want to go down below the burn grate. Im wondering if the crack in the pot is affecting it and causing this .

canuckguy said:
So the stove now seems to only burn with the flame going directly back at the feed hole.The insulation around the hole is crumbling away and the flame now seems to want to go down below the burn grate. Im wondering if the crack in the pot is affecting it and causing this .

Get a new burn pot for your model

Status
Not open for further replies.