1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Whitfield Stove too many pellets being dumped

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mojo2059, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo2059

mojo2059 New Member

Loc:
    Nor Cal
    I have a whitfield pellet stove that dumps too many pellet into the tray. Even at the lowest setting, the pellets fill the tray all the way up to the dump hole. I'm thinking it could be a bad thermostat or maybe a faulty circuit board, but I'm not sure how to test them to see if they are operating properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Time your auger and post the times here or check them against the manual.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

When was the last time the stove was cleaned and the entire exhaust passage cleaned, including ash traps, and combustion blower pulled, oiled, and vanes scraped?
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

x2

Is the stove burning well when this happens? Is it burning at all???
  5. Emilio

Emilio New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    There are 3 fine trim adjusters on the board aside from the heat knob, and the fan knob. I have a whitfield, and my fine trims are as followed..top adjuster for pellet feed,...middle for combustion fan speed,...and button for room fan speed. Adjust the pellet feed trim, with the heat knob setting on "1".. And fine tune...see if that will help.
  6. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    I think imacman and dexter are on the right track... sounds like your stove is plugged with ash not allowing enough air flow.
  7. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Which model do you have ??

Touch pad controls or a selector knob ???

The larger Whits should dump pellets every 7 seconds (approx) on the low setting.
    Every 5 seconds on the number 2 setting and so on.

The red light showing that the auger is running should stay on about 2 seconds then off for the 7 seconds or whatever setting its on.

As mentioned, be sure that the stove is cleaned good and has good airflow.

A big whit running on the upper settings can be dumping pellets pretty fast. Like 2 seconds of feed then pause for 2 seconds.

Now this is a big fire.

I run my Whit on low mostly and it feeds for 2 seconds then rests for 7 seconds.

Be sure the exhaust fan is running properly.

Let us know what model you have as this can make a big difference in the whole picture.

Snowy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.