Whitfield Stove too many pellets being dumped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo2059

Dec 6, 2010
Nor Cal
I have a whitfield pellet stove that dumps too many pellet into the tray. Even at the lowest setting, the pellets fill the tray all the way up to the dump hole. I'm thinking it could be a bad thermostat or maybe a faulty circuit board, but I'm not sure how to test them to see if they are operating properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

mojo2059 said:
I have a whitfield pellet stove that dumps too many pellet into the tray. Even at the lowest setting, the pellets fill the tray all the way up to the dump hole. I'm thinking it could be a bad thermostat or maybe a faulty circuit board, but I'm not sure how to test them to see if they are operating properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Time your auger and post the times here or check them against the manual.

When was the last time the stove was cleaned and the entire exhaust passage cleaned, including ash traps, and combustion blower pulled, oiled, and vanes scraped?

DexterDay said:
When was the last time the stove was cleaned and the entire exhaust passage cleaned, including ash traps, and combustion blower pulled, oiled, and vanes scraped?
x2

Is the stove burning well when this happens? Is it burning at all???

There are 3 fine trim adjusters on the board aside from the heat knob, and the fan knob. I have a whitfield, and my fine trims are as followed..top adjuster for pellet feed,...middle for combustion fan speed,...and button for room fan speed. Adjust the pellet feed trim, with the heat knob setting on "1".. And fine tune...see if that will help.

I think imacman and dexter are on the right track... sounds like your stove is plugged with ash not allowing enough air flow.

Which model do you have ??

Touch pad controls or a selector knob ???

The larger Whits should dump pellets every 7 seconds (approx) on the low setting.
Every 5 seconds on the number 2 setting and so on.

The red light showing that the auger is running should stay on about 2 seconds then off for the 7 seconds or whatever setting its on.

As mentioned, be sure that the stove is cleaned good and has good airflow.

A big whit running on the upper settings can be dumping pellets pretty fast. Like 2 seconds of feed then pause for 2 seconds.

Now this is a big fire.

I run my Whit on low mostly and it feeds for 2 seconds then rests for 7 seconds.

Be sure the exhaust fan is running properly.

Let us know what model you have as this can make a big difference in the whole picture.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.