Whitfield WP2 Advantage from 1994

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonnyBgoode

Jan 7, 2020
Massapequa, NY
Hello, Just moved in my new house. In the den is a Whitfield WP2 advantage with a tag dated FEB 1994. I have a few questions. I have already watched a bunch of videos but im not sure about some of the features.

I lit the pellets, started the pellets inside with a torch and ran everything according to the startup instructions on the side. The hopper does not turn. There is a light on the panel that says "auger" that lights up red and goes on a off periodically, what is the most common issue causing this?

Also, on the top where the auger is, towards the front is a grate, I can lift but what is its purpose? immediately below it on thew face of the stove is a tiny L shaped rod that goes in and out and next to it are several 1" holes, what are they?

Any insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums johnybgood
The hopper is not supposed to turn, the auger shaft at the bottom of the hopper turns. The red light flashing, that indicates that the auger is turning when it is on. The L shaped rod is a cleaner for the heat exchanger tubes which are the 1” holse you see, that is where your hot air is removed from the stove and put into you living area. Google your stove for a manual and read it from cover to cover untill you understand how the stove works and its parts.

Reactions: johneh