Whitfield WP2 auger motor question. Moreso a gear question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kantonburg

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Virginia
The past few weeks I've noticed the auger wouldn't turn as it should. After searching the net a bit turned up the nylon ring on the shaft that spins the gears had worn out I fixed that by adding a new nylon spacer. All was well till it stopped turning the gears. I decided to open the gearbox and was surprised to find out how simple the mechanism works. After dissembling all the gears I found that the very first gear that the spinning shaft that turns the gears touches had half it's teeth missing. Searching around the auger motor is basically used for most stoves and is a standard 1 RPM motor.

Can you buy individual gears? The motor assembly is about $130 and if I can buy a $5 gear (assuming) I'd rather try that before I "have" to buy a new motor.

Here is a pic of the teeth missing.

th_IMG_2254.jpg

I appreciate any advice or help anyone has.

Status
Not open for further replies.