Whitfield WP2 - red auger light won't

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gscott

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
W. Washington
I've had this intermittent problem with my pellet stove, WP-14587 since last year (when I bought it used). It has the old style control board with the start button, auger switch and two knobs.

Sometimes, when I turn on the auger switch the red light won't come on. Hense the auger won't start. Like this morning after I shut off the stove last night for cleaning (it's 8 degrees outside).

I did get the stove to work today, lucky for me. I noticed the vacuum diaghram orifice was a bit plugged, blew it out with compressed canned air. All was well upon startup. Coincidence? Or is the lack of red light an indication of a 'not ready' condition? Maybe a dust problem all along?

I previously had the board out, and the switch tests good. And like I said, this has been an intermittent thing, so the auger motor and snap switches seem to work fine.

Help? Thanks-

I have that same stove. I've never paid any mind to the lite as long as the pellets feed. I thought the lite had something to do with the timer as it kinda flashes intermittenly. What I was wondering though, if the fire should remain constant as mine gets some pellets and burns them flame goes high and as pellets burn out flame goes down to almost nothing then more pellet and high flame. Heat output is fine. Is this normal for our stoves? bjr23

Yes, the red light is supposed to light as an indication the auger is momentarily on. That is why the faster it blinks the faster the auger is feeding. You can hear the auger motor operate each time the light comes on. The feed rate is somewhat irregular because the pellets are different sizes and different amounts fall each time. (like the old candy machines, sometimes you get more for your nickel) So the fire gets bigger and smaller accordingly. Also different brands of pellets are more consistent, reduces this issue a bit.

So my question remains; basically, what is necessary for the control panel to power the auger motor? I thought just the two fans in operation allowed the auger to work. Apparently something else is required to allow the auger switch to activate...

Status
Not open for further replies.