Who are you, where are you from..and what do you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark_ms said:
Name Mark (go figure)

Age 53

Occupation, Retired from being a chef after 22 years. Now work in a Manufacturing environment.

Location, Washington County New York, 12 miles to nearest grocery store 30 miles in 3 directions to Big box stores.
From my front porch I overlook hills of Wash. County and in distance (6 miles) Green Mountain's of VT. and do not see any signs of civilisation from my perch on the hill.
Grew up On Cape Cod, left right after high school and basically never went back. Being a Chef took me to some pretty interesting locales such as Martha's Vineyard, Boston, Nantucket, Bahamas (15 yrs) that's where I met my wife of almost nineteen years, Central Florida and now NY.

Hobbies. Cooking, gardening, walking my two Labs in my 6 acres of field and have just recently been bitten by the woodworking bug. Generally puttering around the house.

This will be my first season with Pellet Insert which was confirmed today to be installed on 10/24. I am looking forward to that!

Careful- now thats a slippery slope. You can never have enough or too many tools. :coolsmile:

Henry A Haigh

Howell Michigan, Electrical Contractor, BA Industrial Engineering. Retired Air show pilot, man ho

57 Married to Diane (boss). been burning, chopping, splitting, stacking wood for 40 years.

Attachments

• jpeg.JPG
    jpeg.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,134
Hi - first post!

Age - 45 years young

Location - Beautiful East Sussex, England (formerly heavily forested - until we started smelting iron!)

Job - owner/proprietor company marketing drywall tools

Interests - house renovation. Will shortly be installing Esse woodstove in place of open fire/heat sink.

Why am I here - lots of good info plus my folks lived in East Holden ME for 20+ years with a big woodburner down in the basement.

Occupation: Retired dairy farmer as of last April. Which in my case means I still have cattle but don't milk anymore, just raise and sell heifers instead. Hard to let the cows go after milking my whole life, but if you don't have good knees it makes things tough.

Location: Northern NYS right on the shore of Lake Ontario. Lived on this farm my whole life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Lots of ash down in the swamp for burning.
338250425.jpg

Burning: Raised in a house with wood stove, and then fireplace, and then fireplace insert but haven't done any for the last 30 years until about three weeks ago. Still have the Riteway in the cellar and the insert in the fireplace, but it's now going to be on the shoulders of the Isle Royale---looking forward to colder weather. :)

Hobbies: Turkey feather color genetics, taking care of stuff around the farm, and spending too much time on the internet. And my new hobby this winter, feeding the Isle Royale. :)

I really enjoy these forums here. Some of the nicest people I've found on the Web.

Poult said:
...Hobbies: Turkey feather color genetics...

Well, I'll be darned. Fascinating. I finally understand both your screen name and the pic in your avatar (after a really close look). Are those all your birds? Rick

Poult said:
Occupation: Retired dairy farmer as of last April. Which in my case means I still have cattle but don't milk anymore, just raise and sell heifers instead. Hard to let the cows go after milking my whole life, but if you don't have good knees it makes things tough.

Always wanted to know from an expert. Do they really have to be milked before sun-up? Or was my dad just being mean to me?

fossil said:
Poult said:
...Hobbies: Turkey feather color genetics...

Well, I'll be darned. Fascinating. I finally understand both your screen name and the pic in your avatar (after a really close look). Are those all your birds? Rick

Yes, but that was a few years ago when I had over 200 birds. It's down to about 100 now, and that's really too many for the feed bill! But they are interesting birds. They've got pretty sophisticated vocabularies and great personalities as well as tasting great. :ahhh: They DO do a number roosting at night on tractor seats, though, so they aren't all a bed of roses. :shut: But I enjoy them a lot.

BrotherBart said:
Always wanted to know from an expert. Do they really have to be milked before sun-up? Or was my dad just being mean to me?

Umm. Your dad was being mean to you. ;-P

Name: Craig

Location: Billerica, MA (20 miles NW of Boston near NH border)

Occupation: Solutions Architect for software company based in California

Age: 34 (although frequently accused of acting much younger)

Burning History: wood stove growing up, then city life w/ no fires, now starting 4th season with this setup

Hobbies: woodworking, home brewing, sailing, camping, spousal searching, and of course anything related to wood stoves like working on future year's supply of wood.

Yup your Dad was being mean to you. He could have been like a friend of mine though, milking every 8 hours.

Name: Dave

Married 4years to a great women who digs burning wood same as I

Burning: 2nd year

Live: Bucks County PA

Hobbies: Woodworking, Timberframing, remodeling our current bungalow, Guitar, Snowboarding, Climbing......

Five Year Plan: Move to the middle of nowhere, take a year off and build our TimberFrame from scratch, off the grid.

Music: Zeppelin, CSNY, Pearl Jam, mostly 60's and 90's grunge.

Kids: 8 year old australian cattle dog, no kids, just the dog for now.

DSC04649-435x321.jpg

Chris, 44 yrs (between the X and Y generations). I look older, but act younger. Baltimore County MD, about a mile from the Fairgrounds outside the beltway. Lived here almost continually for 40 years. Hope to retire to the Keys and become a dive bum. Married with 2 offspring, 2 cats, replacement dog, way too many expensive and time consuming ambitions and hobbies. Used to be sex drugs and rock and roll; now it's the wife, a beer and huntin' for wood! There's a BMW R1100R somewhere out in my garage.

Education: Private school taught me to think, college taught me to drink. Graduated School of Hard Knocks because I wanted to get my hands dirty and Calculus blew what was left of my mind.

Occupation: Started out fixing appliances, residential HVAC, commercial HVAC, plant engineer, manufacturing engineer, consulting engineer, back to service. Jack of all trades, master of none. My card says Senior Service Technician, but I am the only one and made the title up. Service and startup frequency drives for HVAC. Collecting lots of business cards and meeting lots of people. Love my job, but hate the place I work. If I was smart...

Years burning: Parents had a cool 2 sided fireplace that was fun. Last house had a prefab fireplace that was a disappointment but furthered my pyromaniacial tendencies. This house had a Fisher insert that confirmed me as a fire bug and convinced me to spring for a Quad and a new chimney. About 10 years of burn time. Wish I could put in a gasifier, but the stove is doing such a good job, it will be hard to sell that one to the wife.

Music: I can listen to just about anything except C+W, wind up on Sirius Octane more often than not. Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Alan Parsons. Anything from the '70's is good. NIN, Saliva, P.O.D, Wierd Al, ABBA, Supertramp, what phase is the moon in?!? Music keeps me sane on the road.

I talk too much...

Chris

sydney1963 said:
Hello All,

Name: Sue
Place: Southern Maine
First year burning pellets, so far so good.
Love this forum, have learned from all of you and greatly appreciate all of your knowledge and your help.

With a name like and a forum like this you gotta come in here and do this (in your best Johnny cash voice)

My name is Sue!! How do you do!!

brownie said:
Name Gerry

Age 52

Job Water treatment operator 32 years

Married to a great women. 3 Daughters 1 granddaughter 3 grandsons, and a border collie.

Location 10 miles west of Port Huron Mi.

Hobbies Fixing up the kids houses.

Heating with wood 30 years

You don't happen to work for the City of Roseville.....do ya?

Name: Dave Nickname and License plate: Big Oak

Age: 51 although after 31 years of cutting and splitting and stacking wood, my knees,ankles and back feel slightly older that!

Where: Clare Michigan....right in the middle of the state

Occupation: work for that big chemical company... have done almost every job there... 32 years, hope to semi-retire soon

Music : Bob Seger...who else??? Turn the Page, old time rock and roll, Beautiful Loser, Night Moves, etc. also other classic rock

Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, antiques, grill master, cold beer,

Family: wife of 31 years, 3 sons, 2 thru college, one a senior, ( yes i am broke!) a daughter-in-law and a wonderful grandaughter who is 2 months old! also 2 dogs a golden and a yellow lab that follow mw into the woods.

How long burning wood: Started in 1977 and have never quit, when wife was pregnant and kids where young, burnt 60% with LP back up, other than that have burnt 100% wood for about 25 years!

Learning: Thanks to this site, still learning every week!

name ,John
age 47
Monroe NY 10950
occ Builder, Wellbuilt home additionsLLC
1 wife ,3 sons,

I like fishing ,sailing , guns , burning wood
burning 24/7 since 1990

Name: Frank

Location: North Andover, MA - Northeast corner of state near New Hampishire border

Occupation: Account Manager (fancy name for capital equipment salesman)

Life: Wonderful wife, 2 kids (boy 12 & girl 10), 1 dog, a jack russell/wire hair terrier mix - a real spitfire!

Years Burning: Starting the first year, everyone in the house is on-board with this one!

Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, yard work, home projects, 47 year old guy stuff, etc...

In the name of science...

Name: Charlie
Location: Roxbury, Vermont (nowhere but, a few minutes from Sugarbush and Mad River Glen, and the capitol city)
Education: Culinary School
Occupation: Chef (and general know-it-all, but usually wrong) http://www.theroundbarn.com
Years Burning: ages 0-18 then took a break till I bought this house and now on my 3rd wood stove, and thinking about what my next one will be.
Hobbies: Homebrewing, cooking (really), Radio -I do a weekly music program on WRMW and cutting and splitting (not really a hobby, but I spend so much time doing it...)
Music: Phish, G Dead, Rage Against the Machine, Floyd, Bela Fleck, Led Zep, Eels, Talking Heads, Primus (anything Les Claypool), White Stripes, Bright Eyes, Ween, Cake, Grisman, Leftover Salmon, Tom Waits....

Webby, will there be charts and graphs of all this data?

Occupation: Public School Teacher -- U.S. History ( & former flight instructor)

hobbies: burning/cutting/splitting (wife loves it too, thank God.) Ham radio (CW) 'though not very active -- no time or money -- N0FIH. Flying, though not very active (no time or money.) Railroading enthusiast: both model ('though not very active -- no time or money) and the real thing. Political Junkie -- 'Nope, I ain't sayin!

'Started burning as a kid at a family cabin on a circa 1918 Quickmeal coal/wood cookstove (They still have it up there.) Started again in my last house in 96 (about) w/Lopi Answer. Currently have a Jotul Firelight CB, usually burning lodgepole pine North/South. 'Awfully nice during the real cold snaps!

Dexter said:
Darn! 'Forgot to mention homebrewing!

It's interesting how wood stove fans & home brewing seem often seem to go hand in hand....kegged an IPA last nite. Another batch of pumpkin ale is just finishing up its conditioning in secondary.

Dexter said:

Occupation: Public School Teacher -- U.S. History ( & former flight instructor)

hobbies: burning/cutting/splitting (wife loves it too, thank God.) Ham radio (CW) 'though not very active -- no time or money -- N0FIH. Flying, though not very active (no time or money.) Railroading enthusiast: both model ('though not very active -- no time or money) and the real thing. Political Junkie -- 'Nope, I ain't sayin!

'Started burning as a kid at a family cabin on a circa 1918 Quickmeal coal/wood cookstove (They still have it up there.) Started again in my last house in 96 (about) w/Lopi Answer. Currently have a Jotul Firelight CB, usually burning lodgepole pine North/South. 'Awfully nice during the real cold snaps!

I loved living in CO, miss it alot. I made a whirligig in memeory of the George Town Loop R.R
http://windymountainwhirligigs.com/sitebuilder/images/DSC04912-251x315.jpg

Webmaster said:
...Let's just say younger, smarter and more likely to hunt and own a motorcycle!
:cheese:

Do I have to be younger and hunt? %-P Rick

fossil said:
Webmaster said:
...Let's just say younger, smarter and more likely to hunt and own a motorcycle!
:cheese:

Do I have to be younger and hunt? %-P Rick

You have to trade the bike...

Chris the Beerhunter!

Years Burning: Not sure how many on and off. While growing up we had 27 acres, mostly wild crab apple. We used to cut and haul them up to the house, stack them in the garage and burn them in open fire places. First place I rented on my own had on old sheet metal woodstove, not exactly airtight. Had a nice Lopi in a beautiful A frame in Black Forest, Colorado, between Colorado Springs and Denver. A buddy of mine used to clear lots for builders in Colorado too, all pine of course. I burned that in an open fire place. It was a good design as far as open fire places go, open on three sides and right in the middle of the house. We would keep the fire going all day and night over the weekends and the brick chimney would heat up and keep the place nice and warm. I'm installing a new Morso now. Working on a slate floor and stainless steel wall protection now.

Hobbies and such: I used to fish, hunt, hike, ski...you name it. Now the wife and I play tag team battling a four year old boy. That and home improvement projects...not by choice though!

Status
Not open for further replies.