Who do you blame and when do you call?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
This the 2nd year in a row a friend that I help cut wood for has had wood delivered and both these last two years the logs have had mud caked all over them. (which you know what THAT does to your chain) He's pretty PO'd about it and we were talking about who to blame and complain to (delivery guy, owner, etc.) and after getting 20 pulp cord that's so nasty when is it time to say something. I usually don't buy wood, so I don't know what to tell him.

Can you hose it down before cutting them? Maybe a pressure washer. Shouldn't hurt since you will probably cut,split,stack for a year. An extra step - yes, but I can imagine it's a difficult task to log and load without getting in alittle mud. Probably not the fault of the truck driver. Mud and rocks are bad for the chain for sure. I keep a wire grill brush in my cutting bag and if a log is too dirty, I will brush my cut area. I scrounge alot of construction sites and the logs get dragged through the mud.

Those logs get dragged all over in some methods. Leave them stacked in a low pile in the rain, or wash well.

I have to leave some of my wood stacked in the rain because mud may cause issues in my kiln- it more or less cleans itself up.

It can be hard to keep that wood clean when pulling it out, and they aren't going to spend the time to wash it off for you. If you don't like it, call the guy you buy it from and talk to him about it and see what he can do. If you don't like the answer, call around looking for clean wood. May find it costs more. Honestly, I don't mind mud on the wood - that's what a semi-chisel chain and file are for. When I'm cutting dirty wood, I just brush it off with a glove and keep going. It's the rocks in the mud that really slow me down.

Pressure washer works nice for cleaning. You don't have to clean the whole log; just where you will be cutting.

Could you try purchasing it in the middle of the winter when they are skidding on snow?

Order logs in middle of winter is my answer. I call my log guy now and remind him in late Jan or early Feb i want them. He treats me right,in turn I throw him a little extra for breakfast the next morn for him and his guys. Ensures a BIG n Clean load almost all the time. Well worth it in my books. But on the other hand I too have helped my Dad do his logs and have to pressure wash every cut on every log. Makes for a long wet day.. :( !!!!

We bought one of these at a woodworking show. We were re-varnishing my wife's canoe, and a pressure washer can rip western red cedar to shreds if you're not careful. Sprayed on the stripper, waited 15 minutes, and the stuff came off like the skin on a ripe banana. No damage to the wood at all.

I used it on a load of locust logs and it worked extremely well. A heck of a lot cheaper than a pressure washer. It actually had enough force to peel off a lot of the loose bark that was hanging onto it.

Now... what to do with all that slimy locust bark. :shut:

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/water-jet-power-washer.aspx

Attachments

• water-jet-power-washer-.jpg
    water-jet-power-washer-.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 325
Depending on the location of the wood, method of pulling the wood out of the woods and time of year getting dirty logs is one of those things that can happen . . . as others have mentioned the best option for you (short of washing your own wood or letting Mother Nature do it for you) is to get the wood delivered in the Winter when snow is on the ground and the ground has froze (worse time of year is in the Spring).

LOL... that would be complaint #47 why many of the former wood sellers here now chip trees for the bio-mass plant. If it were me I wouldn't say anything about the mud as long as I got good cordage.

Status
Not open for further replies.