Who else has the Quad4300 steptop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jman

Hearth Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Central Maine
I just ordered this woodstove I like what I see and read about it. But I would like some opinions on those that might have them. Is it pretty easy to figure out on getting them to burn good, and does the ACT work as good as it sounds?
Thanks for any insight

Its a great stove, 10 hour burns with little effort, good heat output and have had no problems with it at all. When you refer to ACT I beleive you mean the new ACC, (auto start if you will)works great, load the stove up set it where you want it to run and engage the ACC. 20 min later stove is running perfect with no adjustments needed.

I have a QF4300st and it heats our 3k+ old farm house. The wife, who wanted it is very happy with the heat output...I am comfortable but wanted to hold out for the next size up...but I just checked with her and she is very pleased. If she's happy then I'm happy.

The only thing I advise is that if you're a long time wood burner get used to splitting smaller splits for maximum efficiency. The stove has these incredible smoke re-burner tubes on the top and you don't want to bash them with big splits. the stove can be burning 550* and you won't see smoke come out of the chimney like the old non EPA stoves.

In the winter I go to bed about 9:30...that's when I load it to the max...when I wake up about 530 it's down to hot coals...if you have good seasoned wood it starts right up without using the then start up air...the new wood if seasoned catches like right away...as soon as you close the door.

...Oh but before you load the wood you have to remove the the built up ashes by the front door. Some people carefully remove the ashes only and sift through the hot coals. I wouldn't dick with that...just throw the the ashes and hot coals in a bucket...and the bucket will still put out heat. Rake the rest level and load to the max for a quick morning warmup. Also that's the best time to wipe the glass clean with bottled water ONLY.

During the day we just throw a piece or 2 in when it's required...still burns at 550 stove top and 550 is 550 whether is loaded to the max or a log and a half burnt log.

As far as long burns and slow cook offs go...I dunno about that cause I've never done it. I've always burned on the hot side cause wood is no object around here and we burn to keep warm firstly and save coin next.

As far as cleaning the stove ...I don't know jack cause I never got a manual but I did mirror the chimney about a month ago and there was zip as far as creasolt goes.

Mine is being installed next Thursday. My first load of wood delivered today. Just got done building the hearth. That was an interesing job but well worth it.

ddown

We really like ours! We have the ACT system and rarely use it. It acts like a blowtorch at the rear of the firebox and really helps get things going if you haven't reloaded the stove in a while. As mentioned, if your wood is well seasoned, a reload lights off almost immediately. I only actually relit it a half dozen times last year! I wish I could get more than 6 hours out of ours, but we run it hot. It does throttle back well and scooping ashes is very easy with that sloped lip under the door. We don't have the ash cleanout option, but did get the blower. Variable speed works well, but a thermostat would be a nice addition. We only clean the glass about once a week, if that and it stays pretty clean. I wait until it is cool enough to touch before using Windex and it cleans right up! Our house is a 50 yo, 4 level split in the mid Atlantic and rarely gets below about 20 here. We only need to use the regular furnace for a few weeks if it goes below 20 or so and use about 3-4 cords of hardwood a year. I opened up the tee and checked out the flue after the first year It was almost spotless and I decided it wasn't worth the mess to clean it It IS on the to-do list this year. The only bug we've had is the bricks in the back with the holes drilled in them for the ACT have a tendency to crack across the hole. I am going to replace them and just be more careful slapping the wood in. It isn't really a big deal. Overall very happy with it!

Make sure you have good seasoned wood and you will be fine!

Chris

Thanks guys, this is all very good news to me. I usualy goto bed around 11, and get up at 5 so its good to know ill have some coals to get her going in the morning. I work 8-9 hr days so it sounds like i should be able to get home and get her going real easy.
So how would you guys rate the ACT or ACC timer on it does it realy do what it says it can do light and walk away.
thanks for all the ins and outs guys.it should be more then enough stove for my home. My house is a one story, not counting the basment, and its 30' by 32' with 8' cellings. Big living room with a half wall seperating the kitching. small hallway with the bathroom and two bedrooms at the end of the living room. I got 2 celling fans in the living room one in the kitching. should be plenty warm enough.

Well jman that controls your start up air and if you burn 24/7 you really only use it the few times the stove goes cold...we have the manual start up air and have just used it a few times. But last winter when they 1st came out I remember a few posters here commenting on how convenient they were. From the way you describe your house that stove should do the trick. We got the blower with the rheostat but have only used it a few times when it got really, really cold.

Like Redox our firebrick cracked in the same place...no big thing.

ddown welcome and good luck with your installation...keep in mind smaller splits work better.

Edit to add...imo these newer stoves require leather gloves esp when your cleaning the glass.

Ya; I second that on the gloves. I used to get lots of little burns, particularly when I got lazy and didn't open the door all the way. Even on a minor reload, I put the gloves on. Good idea on any stove!

I wouldn't just walk away from a stove, even with the timer thingy. At least until you get the hang of it, you want to check that stove every 1/2 hour or so. After you get some saddle time, then it's whatever YOU feel comfortable with. We usually check the stove maybe 1/2 hour after a reload, readjust the air a little if necessary and then walk away or go to bed. After a while, the burn gets pretty predictable, there really isn't a lot of fiddle factor with these stoves, IMHO.

I kinda miss the fiddle factor...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.