Who else is burning tonight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
70's-80's daytime, 40's nightime. Windows open 24 hours. Ceiling fans reversed to "down". I think spring's here...a good bit earlier than last year. Haven't burned for nearly three weeks or so. Rick

Sure ya don't wanna come back Rick? Pouring rain goes on and on. May see a few days of sun for Monday and Tuesday before the next thunderstorms.

Oh Gawd, how I remember springtime in Northern Virginia. Sometimes spectacular, but always too much of a good thing. No, I think I'm planted for good here. The guest apartment's available now...c'mon out! Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
70's-80's daytime, 40's nightime. Windows open 24 hours. Ceiling fans reversed to "down". I think spring's here...a good bit earlier than last year. Haven't burned for nearly three weeks or so. Rick

Sure ya don't wanna come back Rick? Pouring rain goes on and on. May see a few days of sun for Monday and Tuesday before the next thunderstorms.

Oh Gawd, how I remember springtime in Northern Virginia. Sometimes spectacular, but always too much of a good thing. No, I think I'm planted for good here. The guest apartment's available now...c'mon out! Rick

May have to do that. Still ain't callin it the servant's quarters I see. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
...Still ain't callin it the servant's quarters I see. :lol:

Not until after you're comfortably moved in. :coolsmile: Rick

north of 60 said:
BB Ive got 18hrs of sunshine a day for ya now. Top that Fossil. :coolsmile:

I would love to have two hours of sunshine a day right now. I cut wood in the freakin rain today. And that was just to cut down and buck a punky old dead poplar tree. Kindling. What it will kindle will have to be cut later. It is all Canada's fault. Vanessa says that I need "nice dry poplar" for my top down fires.

She probably really uses Super Cedars.

north of 60 said:
BB Ive got 18hrs of sunshine a day for ya now. Top that Fossil. :coolsmile:

Can't top that, buddy, you know that. Best I can do right now is about 15...we're just (barely) north of 44. Of course, the house begins to lighten up about 0430, so the cats think it's time to get up. :mad: Rick

Got one going now. Supposed to be in the 20's tonight...

Going thru some pallet wood (not doing that again..), the cat is happy at least. Supposed to be 30's tonight.

fossil said:
Of course, the house begins to lighten up about 0430, so the cats think it's time to get up. :mad: Rick
Mine does the same thing... wakes up, loudly chases some invisible mice around the house, runs across our bed (jumping on my face as he passes through), eats, poops, then goes back to sleep for another 23.5 hours. Must be good to be a cat...

I vacuumed the stove out yesterday, she's done. We have a steady system of good weather that will keep us warm well into the normal warm season. This time of year is the reward for tolerating 9 months of rain, we have green grass and trees with nice warm air and sun on top. Very low humidity and long days of light to enjoy the weather. This is what it's all about.

Cleaned the SS chimney yesterday afternoon and then shoveled all the ashes out of the Endeavor. She's done until late September or early October, I'd say. Going to vacuum out the stove one day this week. I have 8 face cords in the shed at home and another year to a year and half worth of wood split and stacked in the barn. I hate summer, but it's also a bit of a break from feeding the beast every night. ;-)

I'll probably be sweeping the chimney and vaccing out the stove this coming weekend. I believe the 08-09 heating season is done here in central Maine.

September will be here before you know it! ;-)

Got down below freezing last night, and we had a heavy frost.
Got up at 6:20 and it was 31.6 outside.
The thermals from the heating during the day kept the house around 68 by morning.
If we get into the 30's tonight I may have to burn a small fire to take the chill out.

Supposed to be down in the low 40's tonight. We've had a lot of rain and cloud cover, so very little solar heating happening. I started a fire about 1/2 hour ago. June friggin' 3rd! Who'd a thunk?

north of 60 said:
Todd said:
Maybe the poles are shifting? :lol:

Send me up some Oak seeds.

Has your ground thawed out yet, so that you can plant them?? :lol:

High in the 50's today and lows in the 40's. Rain. Maybe just a small fire on June 6th to close out the season.

We had a little cold front come through, and we had lows in the low 50s/upper 40s the past two nights. It's 67F in the downstairs portion of the house this morning as I sip my coffee. I don't recall us having lows in the 40s or 50s in June in a long time. Crazy spring we've had this year. We got over 10" of rain in the month of May. Cold ground makes gardening a b**ch! I was looking forward to a good home grown, garden 'mater to throw on a burger, salad, or sandwich, too.

We had a couple of weeks in late May when the F400 got a rest, but this past week, including all day today, the stove is running. I open a window if it gets too hot. The weather has been dismal...a cold wind off of the ice berg-laden Bering Sea combined with drizzle and fog. Don't think it got above 40 today.

I did, in late May, take liberty to get on the roof and brush the stack. Took the stove down to a good cleaning. It appears my wood is decent and I am burning well, as all I ended up with in the trash bag taped to my lifted stack at the stove outlet from roof brushing totaled less than 1/3 of a cup of friable creosote.

20 hours of daylight here now, and the other 4 is just hardly dusk.

I've burned maybe 3 nights in the last month, mainly to placate the GF who hates the slightest cold. (southern California girl) ;-)

We've had a few nights where it got down to the 50's/ high 40's F.

It barely hit 50 yesterday and the wife was complaining she was cold, so I fired up the stove. I never fired my stove in June before, must be glowbull warming. At least it's not snowing like it is west of here in the Dakota's.

Status
Not open for further replies.