Who has a ceiling-floor register in stove room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
There are a number of posts related to this, but I was wondering if there is anybody who has actual temps
or experience for this situation --

Stove on level 1, ceiling to floor register (open or with blower) in the same room going
to the room above.

What increase in temperature in room on level 2 above stove is achieved?

I know that moving the cold air towards the stove is much better, but it just seems like some of that nice,
hot air on the ceiling of the stove room can at least be tapped into a little to warm the room directly above.

I have a large floor register not far from my stove, and a lot of warm air moves through it to my bedroom above. It makes a huge difference, though I've never tried to measure it.

Hi -

I've lived in several OLD houses with floor registers like you describe. They did work when they were large, say 16" square. They also let noise though and dropped dirt/dust down from above. This type of pass though is a code violation now, as the striaght up and though allows fire to propagate though the structure into sleeping spaces much more rapidly.

It is my understanding that this type of venting can be accomplished within the code by installing registers offset from one another and enclosing the air passage in a short duct section. I have a cold air return that has a power blowwer on it. It took me a year to accept that moving the cold air out is the most efficient way to move the warm air.

I may have a HVAC tech look at my large ranch home to improve air movement. This makes sense to me as I may want to power return more cold air during the Winter, but allow the current set up for AC in the Summer.

ATB,
Mike

I had 2 in my LR which is above my basement stove - 1 had a register fan running to help the hot air up, the other was open to help the cold air fall. Worked quite well. Just make sure you read building codes and use the right duct/fusible link if you have a drywalled ceiling on the lower floor.

im a hvac duct guy. i have vents in the floor that came sraight down into the stove room from my basement. i recently refinished my basement and now have a drop ceiling and a fully insulated room now equaling more heat. so im now installing 2 24 by 24 lay in return grilles coming off with a box on top of those tapping in with 8 inch duct fans from graingers and there all going to be wired to a fan speed switch. ill take pictures when i do the install here this month. im also going to keep everyhing insulated very well trapping the heat and not loosing any when it gets sucked into the duct fan. keeping stuff welll insulated is a must.

Huge differnce have two of them.... one on each outside wall area in the bed rooms....I also ripped down a old pine celling in the basement to let heat rise better...I noticed a 4-6 temp in crease in the morinng with no fans going !

3 floor registers in house, makes a huge difference in heat movement. I have a raised ranch with stove on lower level. floor registers act as cold air returns, heat flows up stairwell, registers and ceiling fans make major difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.