1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who has burned black walnut?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Badfish740, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

It looks as though I'm going to end up with just over a cord from the black walnut that my dad's neighbor cut down. The straight grained pieces split almost effortlessly but the twisty parts of the tree really tested the mettle of my Lickity Splitter-some of them seemed like they tore more than split. The thing I noticed was the really pleasant smell the wood has-I can't really describe it, it just smells good. It seems pretty middle of the road according to the btu charts (About 20 million btu/cord)-not as good as oak, but a little better than some species of cherry and maple. How about coaling?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    It will develope coals and I have burn't it several seasons.

I would never ever turn it down.

It works quit well.
  3. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I burn a lot of Black Walnut. It's one of my favorite woods. I, too, love the smell. A lot of people really dislike that smell. Burn it when it's seasoned and tell me what you think. I know where it falls on the charts, but I generally feel that it's highly underrated. I've been debating whether it's a regional difference, or more recently, whether the tree coming from a stand of trees (making it grow straight and tall) produces a better wood than one that is out in the open (like a yard tree) where it can grow a large canopy.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    It's not the best but far from the worst. Get it and you'll like it. I have some I'll be burning this winter. Did some last year and really liked it.

I agree that it is underrated on the BTU charts.
  5. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I have a bunch. Mine are mostly from a really poor site, where they grow slowly. Maybe that makes them denser than average walnut, since the growth rings are very close together. I like the way it burns, but almost always burn it mixed with other woods (just because the woods are mixed in the piles) so I can't say too much about it, except good firewood.
  6. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    I've got quite a bit of it around here, grows like a weed tree in my area. Splits easy and seasons reasonably fast.
    I'd rate it btu and coaling wise above silver maple, about par with black cherry, and below the likes of sugar maple/oaks.
    Don't like em so much as a yard tree, messy and don't plant your garden next to one.
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    or park a car under them. I've got one over my house and you can hear them drop onto the roof and roll all the way down. super annoying. Don't worry, it leans the other way (towards the neighbors house), lol.
  8. stint9

stint9 New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Yup

Agree with no problem as firewood

Agree even more about being messy lawn trees

They are murder on mower blades when dropping nuts

I had a neighbor buy one of those golf driving range machines at auction really cheap and used it to pick up all the nuts off lawns
  9. 70marlin

70marlin New Member

Loc:
    Grass Lake mi
    Seasons very fast and burns just as quick.
  10. Chargerman

Chargerman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Wisconsin
    I have a ton of walnut at our farm. It burns well, has good coaling, and is easy splitting. My main complaints are the bark seems messy and it does create more ash than the oak or elm I also burn.
  11. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Besides a little Elm, the only "hardwood" I have any quantity of is Black Walnut.
    As others have mentioned I really like the smell, not that I get much opportunity to smell it in the house, but sometimes when the stove is going and I'm outside I get a whiff.
    What I don't like about it is that it's tough to split, lots of knots and Y pieces and ugly chunks, in fact I had to noodle most of it.
    As for the burning qualities, I have really tested it quite a few times, in comparison to the Lodgepole pine I usually burn, with regard to heat output and burn times. Frankly I don't find much of a difference, it may be there, but it's so slight that I just haven't been able to tell with any certainty if it's outperforming my pine or just wishful thinking on my part. The walnut wood splits seem to be heavier than my pine, and way harder to split even though the MC is about the same. So you would think that it would carry more BTUs, but I just haven't seen it with longer burn times or coaling.
    I still got another half a cord that's nice and dry so when it gets colder I'll try some more comparisons.
  12. JBinKC

JBinKC Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake of the Ozarks
    It splits easy, seasons fairly fast, coals well but leaves lots of fluffy ash behind. Mid range on the btu scale.

I on the other hand think it is a cleanest wood in the wood pile. You don't get all of the powdery mess the wood boring insects leave behind with other species.
  13. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    I just got a load of Black Walnut also. An arborist showed up and dumpped 2 loads. Its all split now but this is what it looked like before.

Attached Files:

14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Burning not bad! Got my black walnut table top sanded out yesterday does that count?
  15. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I still have this hefty black walnut that you should be able to get some 12' plus boards out of, Jay. You come and take it down without hitting my house (or the neighbors) and you can have 75% of what you mill. Then we'll drive over to my timber and get another tree or two of your favorite flavor, whatever fills your trailer load. Then we'll drink beer. lots of beer.
  16. Thrash44047

Thrash44047 New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    OK I know most people probably know this but DO NOT let animals or children eat the wood shavings from Black Walnut it is very poisonous.
  17. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    Duh, I did not know this. I would even consider using them for smoking chips.

Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard this before.
  18. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I try not to let my children eat too many wood chips of any kind. It ruins their appetites.
    Fire Breathing Dragon likes this.
  19. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Are you kidding! Wood shavings make great food extenders for things like hamburger, turkey stuffing, oatmeal, etc...
    You can cut your food bill in half. Just another way to stretch your savings by heating with wood.

PS. If you use your chainsaw shavings it's a good idea to switch to a food grade chain oil. ;-)