who has the biggest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
davidv had a post about using 220ccf in another topic. i think to myself"i can top that" and go thru my lng billing history to check, sure enough 237ccf in jan of 05.
lets hear it.....who has the biggest?(gas usage)

Back in '03, before I got my wood heating system installed, we had a gas bill around $800 one (cold) month. Since gas prices have probably doubled since then, I'm thankful for our current gas bills, which run around $30 per month, which is basically the gas dryer and the service fee.

Pretty sure Eric has the biggest....Johnson.

bruce56bb said:
vgrund had a post about using 220ccf in another topic. i think to myself"i can top that" and go thru my lng billing history to check, sure enough 237ccf in jan of 05.
lets hear it.....who has the biggest?(gas usage)

I don't remember quoting ccf but perhaps you are converting from propane gallons for me. Before I began my efficiency improvements, just after I moved in, the propane company was out here every 3-4 weeks filling my 500 gallon tank (~ 350 gallons per fill). Now, I've not done any fancy degree-day comparisons, but I'm on a budget and they already owe me $2000 this season (yes, I'll be calling for a refund and resetting of the monthly amount). WMUR should come back and do a followup story on me (I was the highly motivated guy featured in an energy savings story last year).

Off topic somewhat but here is what I did:

Added attic insulation (blown cellulose)
Insulated attic hatch (which was just uninsulated drywall)
Added floor insulation a few places
Air Sealed like an obsessed maniac (anywhere and everywhere - this was the largest effort by far)
Sealed HVAC ducts
Replaced hot water heater with a new model
Insulated exposed water pipes in basement
Replaced showerheads with extremely low-flow models (that still work and aren't annoying)

Next month my wasteful gas logs get the boot from fireplace #1, I'm upgrading to an efficient gas insert (never used them much).
In a year or two fireplace #2 gets a wood insert.

Victor

I'm extremely impressed with vgrund. Talk about nailing all the major sources that are easy and often not expensive to improve. The air leaks, is one of those things you find & seal for a lifetime. I'm still finding and sealing them. Vgrund make sure you read the fine print, fuel companies where you pre-purchase or go on a plan are beginning to not refund you the total amount you don't use. Last year, around here many pre-purchased extra fuel just in case knowing how volatile the prices had become, some improved their houses unaware by the fuel company who planned on those people using the same amount as the previous year. It ended up being mild, and to boot those that improved their houses used less than normal, lastly the fuel company ended up ordering extra to cover the increased gallons pre-purchased and on a budget and must've had huge amounts of fuel waiting for people to use it, that never materialized. This year, I noticed they stuck a new clause that states anyone who agrees for a certain amount of fuel and they don't use it lose $0.50 per remaining gallon of the unused portion and that gallon goes back to the pool where it can be resold to someone else or repurchased by you at the new full cost!

I went through 300 gallons/oil or 410 ccf's per month when I first purchased my house. After improvements I dropped it down to 110 gallons/oil or 150 ccf's, and since probably cut it near half again. I found a 4" x 8' wall that had no top or bottom, I could look down from the attic and see the basement floor. That was the major problem... had to been that way since the house was built in 1962. Makes me wonder how it went unnoticed for over 40 years from the previous owners, I mean did they not think using over 300 gallons/month (410 ccf's) for a ranch was a bit excessive and not worth finding the problem to remedy?

Thanks, Rhonemas. I am very wary of the propane company. They always have a clause in the contract that states basically, use it or lose it. However they rolled over a significant positive balance for us from last season. The thing that burns me is that they offered only one budgeted pre-buy amount this fall that was based on prior usage and weather trends. That would be OK except I greatly reduced my usage. Long story short, I was out of the country when my wife returned the forms. She did speak with them, however, and they claimed they could make an adjustment in January. I will not relax until they do so and my dear wife has been instructed never to accept a verbal contract again with the propane company (fingers crossed on that one).

Status
Not open for further replies.