Who is already doing 24/7?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I realized today, that since last Friday I have been loading the stove (one split pine, one elm & one silver maple) 24/7....
9:00am load as mentioned in brackets, 4-5pm as mentioned in brackets, 11:00 three splits of elm, repeat at 9:00amMind you, no real hardwood used ye

Is this too early....to run 24/7?

I'm loading up with one small load every night a little while before bed.

Not sure when I'll get to 24/7 here. If highs are going to be in the 40's, I won't bother to light the stove in the morning.

-SF

here in ct. i have been doing 24/7 for 3 days 28 degrees now at midnight

north of 60 said:
Only restarts every second morning. Only been getting to -5 to -8 overnight.

-7 here last night!

Diabel said:
north of 60 said:
Only restarts every second morning. Only been getting to -5 to -8 overnight.

-7 here last night!

I am petty sure winter will eventually come like a ton of bricks and we will pay for this mild weather, but for now I will enjoy it for as long as I can. All our high elevation lakes should be ice fishable soon though.

Well, it's not -7 °F , but I noticed that I haven't had to re-light the stove since Friday(4 days ago). Toasty up in here! :coolsmile:

I live by wood fanatic and I'm on the same boat. I've been burning pretty much 24/7 since Friday. I've been letting the stove cool down for most of the afternoons, then in the evening cranking it up again. It's 33* outside right now and very toasty in my house. Thank God.

Ive been letting mine die down except for today, I threw a couple splits in and turned it down low so I would have good coals to kick it back up at 5, was only in the 40's today so it was nice to have a little heat.

As CTBurner says: Here in CT (I'm in the middle of the state), the temps have been right for burning regularly. Burning "24/7" is a bit of a misrepresentation in some ways, because ya "have to sleep sometime" and the fire can go out near the latter hours of the morning. But in essence, we ARE burning all the time at this point.

-Soupy1957

This is my first full year burning. Is it normal to be burning most of the day at this point in the year? Consider that I have a small stove and a very drafty house.

I've only lit 2 fires this year and have been burning since October 2nd.

Not 24/7 yet, But pretty much every evening it gets below 40F which has been very common lately. At 5am this morning I was showing 25F

DaFattKidd said:
This is my first full year burning. Is it normal to be burning most of the day at this point in the year? Consider that I have a small stove and a very drafty house.

We are definitely getting into that time of year where most folks will have the stove going for the most part 24 hours per day. There may be large gaps where there are only coals in the stove but soon they will be adding.

As an example, our daytime highs have been in the mid 40's and the last few mornings have been mid 20's (nothing like those Canadian guys who think zero is a January thaw). Yesterday morning I put in 3 splits in the morning and my wife put in 3 sometime in the afternoon (I called her from a treestand and told her I was cold and warned her she had best have the house warm or hot when I got there so I could thaw out). When we went to bed, I put is 3 very small splits because we had a lot of coals. This morning around 5:00 I added 3 splits and the house never got cold overnight; actually was a bit on the warm side all night.

24/7, basically yes, we are pretty much at that point but I'll be we don't burn as much wood as North of 60 or Diabel does!

I have at least coals at all times for a week here in PA. I am loving the silence of the furnace !!! It is basically 24 a day for the next few days, we are supposed to get a warm up next week so I can't say 24/7.

I've been having morning and late evening fires for at least 3 weeks now, and within the last week or so, I've had small late afternoon fires to get a nice bed of coals, warm flue, etc. before the late evening large load. I was talking with my wife yesterday, and we were both mentioning that it seems we are 24/7 at this point, since the stove is essentially always warm/hot w/ coals. Never been this warm in my house! (first full year burning). Cheers!

24/7 . . . or close to burning 24/7 now for a week or two now.

i did 1st 24 hr yesterday but looks like morning and night time burn for me here in nj.

24/7 for 4 days now. I just got tired of the heat up cool down cycle. The house has been staying right around 74° which makes the wife and dog happy.

On the high plains of Colorado, nearly against the foothills of the Rockies, just east of Boulder, it was mid 60,s yesterday. Should be mid 60s to the weekend. 70's Saturday. With this fine weather, we've been spending our "moral-credits" like there's no tomorrow. I suppose we'll have to pay with interest later in the winter. I'll enjoy it for now. I've only lit 4 full-cycle fires, which were allowed to burn out.

My stove is made for 24/7 burning and I burn that way as much as I can. I just do two fires a day, every 12 hours and if the house is still warm when I come home from work, I'll have a smaller fire at night.

Backwoods Savage said:
DaFattKidd said:

We are definitely getting into that time of year where most folks will have the stove going for the most part 24 hours per day. There may be large gaps where there are only coals in the stove but soon they will be adding.

As an example, our daytime highs have been in the mid 40's and the last few mornings have been mid 20's (nothing like those Canadian guys who think zero is a January thaw). Yesterday morning I put in 3 splits in the morning and my wife put in 3 sometime in the afternoon (I called her from a treestand and told her I was cold and warned her she had best have the house warm or hot when I got there so I could thaw out). When we went to bed, I put is 3 very small splits because we had a lot of coals. This morning around 5:00 I added 3 splits and the house never got cold overnight; actually was a bit on the warm side all night.

24/7, basically yes, we are pretty much at that point but I'll be we don't burn as much wood as North of 60 or Diabel does!

It appears that we are on the same level...I burn 9 splits (softwood) in a 24hr period.
Backwoods Savage, I have a feeling that Michigan gets much cooler than where I am in Ontario....

Have not even lit the stove yet. Cool(ish) today, may light tonight, but will be sunny and 50-60's the rest of the week...

Diabel said:
I realized today, that since last Friday I have been loading the stove (one split pine, one elm & one silver maple) 24/7....
9:00am load as mentioned in brackets, 4-5pm as mentioned in brackets, 11:00 three splits of elm, repeat at 9:00amMind you, no real hardwood used ye

Is this too early....to run 24/7?

I live in the same city as you... Only one fire with one re-load per day, which is keeping the house between 20-25C... Had the house insulation beefed up over the summer + new windows/doors installed, makes a world of difference. Mind you, I probably am burning at least as much wood as you...

I've been building a fire each morning and letting it go from there... today I did feed it a few more splits before I left for work to boost the burn time/heat a bit (that pine of mine sure does burn faster than ok!). I probably should have burned a fire last night as it was colder this morning when we woke up than we like so perhaps I'm going to have to start doing an evening feeding which will mean we're close to 24/7 (if coals in the stove means we have a fire burning...). However we may have warmer weather headed our way in a few days so maybe not.

I expect we'll be in the routine (when NOT burning is the exception) 24/7 mode sometime in December... but who can really predict these things eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.